a 52,000 dollar Macintosh

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about buying a new apple desktop but nothing powerful... I expect them to be cheaper after christmas...

but my record for predicting the future is not great.  :eek:

JR

PS; is santa claus antisemitic for not bringing presents to Jewish kids?  8)

JohnRoberts said:
I am thinking about buying a new apple desktop but nothing powerful... I expect them to be cheaper after christmas...

but my record for predicting the future is not great.  :eek:

JR

PS; is santa claus antisemitic for not bringing presents to Jewish kids?  8)
If you read the fine print, there is a Santa clause which states that Santana will perform  for all children, regardless of religion or creed...

> rack mounted

At $52k, I'm not putting it in a rack, but in a Bank Vault.

https://www.apple.com/v/mac-pro/f/images/overview/rack_rails__e8npwknjn2q2_large.jpg

PRR said:
> rack mounted

At $52k, I'm not putting it in a rack, but in a Bank Vault.

https://www.apple.com/v/mac-pro/f/images/overview/rack_rails__e8npwknjn2q2_large.jpg

AT 52K I am not buying one. It will be obsolete in a few years and just be a bigger model.  looks like you can add aftermarket memory  and things. might be best to buy on the low side of 5K and build up.  That is if you really have to run one.
We currently run a 2012 Mac Pro, it is doing us well. who knows till out next upgrade

pucho812 said:
What OS does it run?
I love the quote on that site if you click the Mainframe link:

"Performance like a data center

More than 200 TFLOPS of deep leaning power.
Think of this. A single MAINFRAME AI equals the
largest german data center only a few years ago.
We decided to shrink the size to only 38cm.

...More practical than a hangar"

That's still all marketing BS. Mainframes don't necessarily have that much computing power. That's simply not what defines a mainframe. Other things, like hot swap ram, connectivity and redundancy is what really sets them apart.

The marketing guys probably decided "super computer" sounded to mundane...

It's just a PC mobo in there. A very good mobo, one might hope.

There's one thing I don't get. It's supposed to be completely silent. Yet there are two large fans in the case...

cyrano said:
That's still all marketing BS. Mainframes don't necessarily have that much computing power. That's simply not what defines a mainframe. Other things, like hot swap ram, connectivity and redundancy is what really sets them apart.

The marketing guys probably decided "super computer" sounded to mundane...

It's just a PC mobo in there. A very good mobo, one might hope.

There's one thing I don't get. It's supposed to be completely silent. Yet there are two large fans in the case...

Maybe the fans don't run ;)

Back