Pro-trump adds on groupdiy... Ugh

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Regardless of my political views, it’s a drag to come here and see a big pro-trump add right at the top of my screen.

Is there a way to filter adds so that political jargon isn’t part of what’s being served up? It’d be nice to keep that in the Brewery discussions (that I purposely avoid).

Attachments

• A56D2C1D-AC8B-4DDF-A895-C1FE8FE7804E.png
    A56D2C1D-AC8B-4DDF-A895-C1FE8FE7804E.png
    728.3 KB · Views: 39
Click on the X beside the ad. A Google window pops up allowing you to select why you don't want that ad ranging from inappropriate through seen to many times to not interested. Google will kill the add but it will keep popping up. Keep complaining about it and eventually it will go away.

Cheers

Ian

Mbira said:
Regardless of my political views, it’s a drag to come here and see a big pro-trump add right at the top of my screen.

Is there a way to filter adds so that political jargon isn’t part of what’s being served up? It’d be nice to keep that in the Brewery discussions (that I purposely avoid).
So the anti-trump ads don't bother you....?  :D (I just got one of those minutes ago).

I favor anything that generates revenue to support this forum. 

If the specific ad bothers you click on the ad management feature.

It is sad that modern divisive politics has corrupted pretty much every aspect of our lives.

It is likely to get worse as we get approach next years vote, but not that hard to ignore. 

JR

PS: You should see the ads they were pushing at me when I was deleting all that russian spam.

It's not clear that ad is political actually. My guess would be that it's for a mortgage re-finance but they threw in a Rump reference as click-bait.

The unfortunate reality is that 90% of ads have some kind of issue whether it be click-bait, deceptive or just downright fake. Everyone should just know that at this point and ignore them completely.

The logical solution would be to just require a small payment from each user to disable ads but because it's impractical to do that with every site people just use an ad-blocker and that ruins the whole model.

My hope is that one day all activity can be attributed to ISP accounts and then do micro-payments. Meaning your ISP will just charge you a tiny amount of money based on what you're viewing and then some service handles payments from ISPs to sites and downstream to content owners. Of course that's a little tricky because it would require some kind of global authorization service which has privacy issues and breaks decentralization. But in reality it would just be a reorganization of what we already have (Google and Facebook and whoever are authorization services and CAs and DNS centralized services) and there's no reason why someone could not have multiple identities with varying levels of anonymity.

squarewave said:
It's not clear that ad is political actually. My guess would be that it's for a mortgage re-finance but they threw in a Rump reference as click-bait.

The unfortunate reality is that 90% of ads have some kind of issue whether it be click-bait, deceptive or just downright fake. Everyone should just know that at this point and ignore them completely.
So that makes my "honest" ads the exception.  8)

I often keep a TV set running in the background and when the ads are too irritating to just ignore I FF through them with my DVR. The few I inadvertently see make me wonder how dumb is the target audience for these (ASSuming the advertiser is profitable, not always a given). 
The logical solution would be to just require a small payment from each user to disable ads but because it's impractical to do that with every site people just use an ad-blocker and that ruins the whole model.
Sometimes I click on irritating ads to waste more of their money.
My hope is that one day all activity can be attributed to ISP accounts and then do micro-payments. Meaning your ISP will just charge you a tiny amount of money based on what you're viewing and then some service handles payments from ISPs to sites and downstream to content owners. Of course that's a little tricky because it would require some kind of global authorization service which has privacy issues and breaks decentralization. But in reality it would just be a reorganization of what we already have (Google and Facebook and whoever are authorization services and CAs and DNS centralized services) and there's no reason why someone could not have multiple identities with varying levels of anonymity.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I have long suggested micro postage for sending email to crash the economic business model of spam, if robo callers had to pay for calls that model would collapse too.  Alternately we could receive credit for accepting emails or calls to offset the cost of personal emails we send. This would likely be zero net cost to normal users with only large mailers incurring costs.

I have to wonder sometimes if it is just me (I'm old and cranky)... I get really irritated by targeted advertising, but perhaps the generation raised while glued to screens suggesting what they should watch, listen to, and think(?) are less offended. Targeted advertising is rationalized as a benefit (for whom?).... no thank you.

JR

PS Ironically perhaps I suspect the big advertising brains these days are working in politics.  You can tell how similar the words and language used by like minded talking heads and politicians are, changing talking points almost daily, suggests to me that precise words and messages have been vetted by focus groups to paint the intended emotional picture, and coordinated if not officially, informally through opinion leaders. I suspect both sides perceive this from the other.

It’s pretty weird the adds we get here lol:

Attachments

• A09D8FD2-3E6F-4FF6-8905-154815ADE378.png
    A09D8FD2-3E6F-4FF6-8905-154815ADE378.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
I wonder if the technology exists on this forum like you see on a lot of podcasts these days- pay a monthly fee and you get an add free version?

I don't think the admins get to pick  which adds we see and don't see. I would imagine a service pays the host allowing to show adds here. in turn someone elicits that service to show their add. the benefit is the form maintains a relatively free service and we get to do our thing. The drawback is we don't have a choice in what the adds are. At best the service doing the adds can make make target demos and target areas like in the old days of print and radio adds but I doubt it.  About the best one can do is not click on the add if you are not interested and also not look at it. 

This idea that we'd actually have to pay money not to see adds sounds more like extortion/demanding money with menaces to me .
Youtube is the most anoying , luckily a script editor and 'auto close youtube adds' script allows  you to mute adds sound and video for the few seconds , as far as the advertiser knows your watching the first few seconds then pressing the skip button .  Smart/mobile  phone I wont tollerate either ,way to intrusive.

I have a  link blocker to avoid adds , I feel no reason to be ashamed or apologetic about using it , just look at whats being served up ,custom made propaganda beamed directly into your cerebral cortex at election time . 

Latest posts

Back