G7 finished, finally! Sound samples & Pic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat

Okay, so I started my G7 more than year ago. It's been a real learning curve, that's for sure. I had no knowledge of metalworking at all when I started (I still don't!) and had only just about managed to build a 1176 before this, that being my first project. I had to build quite a few bodies before I got one that would do the job. I'm still dissatisfied with this one but it'll have to do for now.

Anyway, on Sunday morning I finally got it working and inside its case. Woohoo!! :thumb: :thumb: I used it on a session in the afternoon and here are the results:

wav 6.7 MB or
mp3 1.52 MB 320k

G7 > G9 > Tape > SB soundcard

Capsule is a stock Soundking 34mm edge terminated job. Mullard tube and Lundahl transformer. The G9 has just got cheap chinese no name tubes and OEP transformers. I'm not convinced it's entirely working correctly, but that's for another post. Sounds better than the pres in my Soundcraft desk, anyway!

There's unfortunately a small amount of distortion on a couple of the peaks from where I set the level too high to tape and forgot to turn off the DBX. Otherwise it's fine.

Anyway, let me know what you think. How does this compare with what others have built?

--Nat

<edit> Here's a picture that someone took for me this afternoon (7/6/05)

_________

On an unrelated note, there's someone on this forum to whom I owe some money from a long while back when I was trying to organize the group capsule buy, only I can't remember the guy's name. I'll recognize it when I see it, though. It was something like £60 so I need to pay him back. If he could get in touch that would be great!

Nice job Nat - looking forward to seeing some pics too!

Sounds pretty good to me but its kinda hard to tell with the slap coming back off the wall into the mic. You didn't record in a bathroom by any chance?? I'd reccommend hanging a quilt or sumthing behind the vox to kill the reflections and/or move to a bigger room....anyway good job. She sounds like a cutie mate!

Sounds quite smooth up top.

-Tom :thumb:

Haha I know! I had her in the largest room in the house but it's still not really big enough. Wooden floors and bare walls don't really help matters! I will damp the room next time. Cheers though.

I'm interested in how it compares with other commercial mics, if you have any comments that way. All I have here is an AT4033, which I hate, so I'm bound to think that anything else is amazing.

Just posted a pic, look in the main post or below.

<edit> Here's a picture that someone took for me this afternoon (7/6/05)

Latest posts

Back