something different

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I bought a tube microphone for experimenting with solid state tube replacement. It has a good size body and removable tube.
So I traced it and found something different the rest of the circuit is standard stuff
I checked my trace a few times
The part identifiers in the sim don't match the PCB markings
I made up the capsule value because I have not measured it yet.
has anyone seen a circuit fragment like this before?

Attachments

• MXLrevelationcapsulesection.png
    MXLrevelationcapsulesection.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 219
Normally, I would expect R7, C7, C8 and R8 to be a single capacitor.
The same goes for R3, C3, C4 and R4.
I can't think of a reason why they used these extra components.
Would be interested in your opinion!

I posted this because I am puzzled by what I traced

The .001uf caps are 400V

I will trace it again.

IMHO, the network R7, R8, C7, C8 does not have any purpose (it's separated with 1Gohm from the capsule).
The upper network may be a HF boost (or not, it needs to be further analyzed).

I wonder if it is to mislead others or to check if someone copies this circuit.

The power supply has a HPF inside and invert switch.

The fil supply 7806 has its tab connected to PCB ground however, it has a diode in the middle ground lead to ground. So the diode is shorted out. I checked with a meter
This can be a good thing because the voltage is closer to 6VDC and not 6.6VDC(with the diode)

The high resistance parts in the microphone are PCB mounted.

I don't see an AC modulation from the capsule or gain stage(EF86 as a triode) via the parts.

Why would they have selected such a high value for the grid leak resistor?
With 60 pF (capsule), a 100 M.ohm grid leak resistor would result in a -3 dB point at 26,5 Hz.
Phase shift at low frequencies is the only reason I can think of.
In general, you don't want the electronics of a microphone to be 'flat' to (almost) DC...
As my old electronics teacher (a wise man!)  used to say: "never select the grid leak resistor higher than needed, because it will reduce the lifetime of the tube".

RuudNL said:
Why would they have selected such a high value for the grid leak resistor?
With 60 pF (capsule), a 100 M.ohm grid leak resistor would result in a -3 dB point at 26,5 Hz.
Phase shift at low frequencies is the only reason I can think of.
In general, you don't want the electronics of a microphone to be 'flat' to (almost) DC...
As my old electronics teacher (a wise man!)  used to say: "never select the grid leak resistor higher than needed, because it will reduce the lifetime of the tube".
But sure you know that moving the -3 dB roll-off also moves the noise spectrum towards subsonics, don't you?

Yes, but it makes the microphone also more susceptible to high humidty.
Older tube microphones never used resistors in the G.ohm range (probably because they were not available at the time) but nobody complained about noise.
I have yet to see a tube microphone that has a lower self noise than a solid state microphone!

RuudNL said:
Yes, but it makes the microphone also more susceptible to high humidty.
Older tube microphones never used resistors in the G.ohm range (probably because they were not availabel at the time) but nobody complained about noise.
I have yet to see a tube micropphone that has a lower self noise than a solid state microphone!
I would think the main reason is that tubes have too much grid current for operation with gigaohm grid leak, even when run at low anode voltage and reduced heater voltage, resulting in too high negative bias and tube cutoff.

Anyone have  a chance to look at the microphone model and check the circuit fragment?
EDIT
I need to check it again
I would have done a different HPF.

Also the part numbers in the sim screenshot don't match the markings on the PCBs.

Attachments

• MXLrevelation.png
    MXLrevelation.png
    121 KB · Views: 77
Anyone look at the current version of this microphone to check if anything changed?

Gus said:
I wonder if it is to mislead others or to check if someone copies this circuit.
The fil supply 7806 has its tab connected to PCB ground however, it has a diode in the middle ground lead to ground. So the diode is shorted out. I checked with a meter
This can be a good thing because the voltage is closer to 6VDC and not 6.6VDC(with the diode)
Classic 797 filament. Could be someone copied them.

Tested it again. I often put microphones away for some time before testing them again

I removed the HPF in the power supply. The HPF did not sound good to me and removing it also removes the loading it causes even when switched off. Left the fil supply alone for now.

Stock it sounds like the two recordinghacks VO tests you can find it in. I hear the same thing in the VO tests that I hear testing it.

Next I am going to do something about the capsule grill maybe machine a new capsule mount to get rid of some of the grill frame reflections. I will also add a magic eraser foam ring.

After that change the capsule

Then make and add a circuit for using modern tubes or build a solid state to transformer, tube microphone voltage circuit to install in it.

Added a magic eraser foam ring, this made a difference.

Machining a new capsule mount for the next test
So far
cleaned the PCBs
Changed one cap
Added a cap
removed the wiring to the HPF
Added the magic eraser foam

Next
change the capsule mount
change the tube
Adjust the circuit design

change the capsule last

So far disconnecting the HPF and adding the foam made the most difference

Added a magic eraser foam ring, this made a difference.

Machining a new capsule mount for the next test
So far
cleaned the PCBs
Changed one cap
Added a cap
removed the wiring to the HPF
Added the magic eraser foam

Next
change the capsule mount
change the tube
Adjust the circuit design

change the capsule last

So far disconnecting the HPF and adding the foam made the most difference
Don't think I've ever owned a magic eraser. Are there any fears of it breaking down?

In my U47FET and M49 builds, I used closed cell foam I had for whitewater boat outfitting. I was worried about the foam degrading over time.

What was the difference you heard with the magic eraser foam ring?
I also thought about using closed cell foam in my mic builds.

Back