DIY 8 channel SSL console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kprellz

Hey all! I’ve got a 40 channel SSL E in my studio, because of this I have a bunch of spare channels, now I’m wondering I can make a small8 channel side car. Maybe find a center section or reverb or something. Anyone ever do something like this? What would be involved?

One of the trickiest parts will be concocting the mechanical portion.  IE, mounting system (those are pretty long modules) and the mating motherboard beneath the modules.

Bri

If you want to o that, I would buy a bucket chopped off a console with the motherboard. Then you can wire all 8 channels up to a patchbay using the molexconnectors on the bottom.  I think the mechanical sie of this would be a nightmare to diy unless you have 50 hours, some calipers,an access to a CNC table.

This doesn't  directly answer your question but, if it was my studio I would consider the following.

keeping these for spares / repairs?  These parts are only going to get harder to find and become more expensive.  Although I don't know how big your bunch is. 

What it the intent for the side car? If for the same room I'd consider selling some channels and if budget allowed I'd get a Neve or API side car for a different flavour.  Or a bunch of 500 series modules. 

iampoor1 said:
If you want to o that, I would buy a bucket chopped off a console with the motherboard.

+1
that will save you a lot of trouble, work and money.

Go to this forum, it's dedicated to SSL console users, great people there, they will be able to provide help, probably someone already did a similar thing around there:

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php

I am just going to echo what everyone and what whoops said including the link.  You are looking at a lot of work but people have built some incredible mixers blending various SSL modules. For many of them it's taken years but some of their outcomes are outstanding.

Latest posts

Back