computer upgrades with the Mac OS ugh!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

What a night last night.
Fecking upgrades. Should have been easy.  Every Mac expert online, every Mac website, said  the update was possible.  That I could upgrade from os Lion(10.7.5) to El Capitan(10.11.xx) on a work laptop for  my neighbor.  Well it started off going well, El Capitan downloaded and it started to install, then it said it couldn't install, that no packages were available for install and to restart. But, it wouldn't restart, it would go into the installed for the newer os.  I tried installing it from a startup disk(thumb drive) I have of the El Capitan OS and same message, no package available  and restart. I tried just about every way I could think of to get past the message including changing the time manually  in the terminal to trick the computer and nothing. Would not update or go back to the old OS without a fight.  There was no way around it.  What should have been a quick 30-40 minutes tops, turned into an all nighter just to get back to OS lion with all the data intact. By day light, was finished, data was safe, a new backup was made and lion was back to working.  The end result was use the lion OS thumb drive to put it back on the internal hard drive which luckily did not destroy any personal data on the system.

I get it that Mac doesn't want to support  older systems and OS's because they want you to buy new and be newer but this was ridiculous.  By all accounts every expert even apple said it should work and be easy, but nope.  :(

It's really not recommended to upgrade to 4 major versions later. Chances are you'll be missing a firmware update.  Erase and reinstall from blank...

And, yeah, lately Apple's computers seem to copy MS behaviour a lot.

Apple wants to be a bank. An online bank. So it's all centered around the cloud and the stores. We can whine about it, but that's about all.

I'm looking at Linux. My latest Mac is from 2008. The next computer won't be a Mac. Still fruity, tho. :D

cyrano said:
It's really not recommended to upgrade to 4 major versions later. Chances are you'll be missing a firmware update.  Erase and reinstall from blank...

And, yeah, lately Apple's computers seem to copy MS behaviour a lot.

Apple wants to be a bank. An online bank. So it's all centered around the cloud and the stores. We can whine about it, but that's about all.

I'm looking at Linux. My latest Mac is from 2008. The next computer won't be a Mac. Still fruity, tho. :D

Yeah might have to do it in stages or have my neighbor get a newer system or whatever. Funny how 4gb ram was big in 2012 and is puny by today’s standards.  I hate the Constant upgrades.

The MacOX updates and iOS update scheme just got ridiculous after 2011, they really try hard to make your computer obsolete in 2 years time using new OS software as a Trojan Horse.  Advertizing it as a security update and new app and functions but in reality your machine will just run slower, waste more battery, or push the graphics card beyond it's limits and burn it.

I have a Macbook Pro late 2011, it's a great machine, still runs smoothly, I used Lion for a long time and it run pretty well.
Unfortunately I was obliged to upgrade for Mavericks since my soundcard didn't work with any MacOS older than that.
It still runs well on Mavericks, but I will not install any newer OS, since I'm able to do everything I need with the current setup.

There's nothing in the newer OS that I need,
I also advise everyone to think about this before doing any upgrade.

Google DosDude1

Didn't know about him.  interesting patches for OS.

I have a Macbook Pro late 2011, it's a great machine, still runs smoothly

I also have one thats been a great machine and easy to open and upgrade.  My other is 5.1 Mac Pro which  is my main machine for Protools.  Both run High Sierra and run pretty stable.  The Protools Side of things has been so important to me.  Avid has been going down the same road as Apple.  I've heard that after the first of the year there will be no more perpetual license issued and you stay where you are or go on an annual. 

High Tech is really High Anxiety.  I do better when I stay focused on the music/art.  It's easier for me being  semi retired.  If your a full fledge pro you just deal with it as long as your making bank.

Both of my primary DAWS running ProTools are Macs, one is a MacPro 2012 running Mojave the other is 2011 MacBook Pro running Catalina...I've upgraded the MacPro video card to a metal compatible so it runs Mojave via Apple, but the laptop is running Dosdude1 patch and it runs Catalina and th elatest version of PT just fine.

iomegaman said:
one is a MacPro 2012 running Mojave the other is 2011 MacBook Pro running Catalina

You just have lower performance than what you could have if you didn't run Catalina and Mojave in 2011/12 computers.

Personally I prefer to run an older OS and have better performance

Best advise I got on macs
The os is treated separately then any data on a drive. So that if the os crashes you can fix the os and keep the drive in tact with info/data.
2. As long as the drives runs you can retrieve data. Only when the drive does not run or is formatted is retrieving data difficult to impossible.

Whoops said:
You just have lower performance than what you could have if you didn't run Catalina and Mojave in 2011/12 computers.

Personally I prefer to run an older OS and have better performance

Except I can boot from NVME ssd on my Mac Pro booting natively in the newer firmware (140.0.0.0) no weird bootloader nonsense required...and the NVME drive is at least 10X faster than an SSD drive and in actual usage I went from

Standard SSD drive read 100 Mps, NVME drive 1116 Mp...so frankly I haven't seen anything in way of a performance hit.

iomegaman said:
Except I can boot from NVME ssd on my Mac Pro

Nice, so you loose some processor performance but you have a much faster HDD, would love to try that out.

But that's on the MacPro you are still much worse on the Macbook Pro using Catalina instead of using Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Whoops said:
Nice, so you loose some processor performance but you have a much faster HDD, would love to try that out.

But that's on the MacPro you are still much worse on the Macbook Pro using Catalina instead of using Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

That might be true, but I only use the MacBook when I'm travelling or recording remote which is minimal...the other side of the upgrade forced on you by vendors is ProTools...those guys drive me nuts, customer service is terrible and they don't care.

This is a good one, this is  full story on the last system I mentioned.

Mac trashcan  running high Sierra and an owc SSD drive.  out of nowhere, the drive won't boot.  ran recovery off both internal partition and USB hub drive. both ran the OS installer for their respective length of time but the end result was the same, boots up into a black screen. 
The drive can be seen by  Mac first aid so tried first aid and I get APFS device error object map invalid... This is no good.
tried a Mojave  usb disk and first aid, same results.
The internet smart people do not know enough about  the APFS format that Mac has for high Sierra and Mojave that it is too new. 
MY goto computer genius was thinking that reinstalling the OS would fix that and is surprised it did not.
the only option is to reformat and restore the backup.

iomegaman said:
That might be true, but I only use the MacBook when I'm travelling or recording remote which is minimal...the other side of the upgrade forced on you by vendors is ProTools...those guys drive me nuts, customer service is terrible and they don't care.

I'm quite happy with a Macbook Pro late 2011, Protools 10 and Mavericks.
It works great

pucho812 said:
This is a good one, this is  full story on the last system I mentioned.
the only option is to reformat and restore the backup.

I'm afraid that's the only real fix with APFS.

My latest is about as crazy.

New El Capitan installer downloaded. Can't install on a machine that's currently running EC. Go figure...

Latest posts

Back