TG-1 clone meters not tracking

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrobbelbop

I've build the DIY-racked DR-Zen2.

I've got the Sifam AL20-6-7 meters, but they don't track the compression right.
IF my needle is moving just a tiny bit i'm already in 6-12 db range of compression.
any ideas to look after for? the diy-racked tech, tells me there is nog cure and
it's part of the design but there must be something wrong!

attached the schematic

Attachments

• Recipe_-_sharpened-fixed.gif
    Recipe_-_sharpened-fixed.gif
    298.4 KB · Views: 35
Rob Flinn said:
The meters you have don't have the right scales on them.  They should look like the ones in the attched pic.

Ah i get it, the current TG1 versions must have an active meter circuit to drive those meters.
Weird that they spec those expensive meters for that build that won't ever work!

They are the same meters just with different scales.    When IJR made the original batch of TG boards someone got a bunch of replacement scales made as a group buy.  The Chandler is a modified version of the original TG & for some reasons they use regular VU scales.

Rob Flinn said:
They are the same meters just with different scales.    When IJR made the original batch of TG boards someone got a bunch of replacement scales made as a group buy.  The Chandler is a modified version of the original TG & for some reasons they use regular VU scales.

But then the needle should readout around that scale ? It doesn’t it starts a bit below zero an rises to max
4db on this scale. It should hang around in the center according to the scale you’ve posted ?

Hi Guys, hope this thread is still on...?
I'm building the Dr Zen2 at the moment. One channel is working already. The other channel does a loud thumb at transients when I set the fastest attack time. I've checked the usual suspects like cold soldering joints, diodes orientation, resistors...
So far I didn't find a mistake... Does anyone have a idea what could cause the problem?
Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Guys, hope this thread is still on...?
I'm building the Dr Zen2 at the moment. One channel is working already. The other channel does a loud thumb at transients when I set the fastest attack time. I've checked the usual suspects like cold soldering joints, diodes orientation, resistors...
So far I didn't find a mistake... Does anyone have a idea what could cause the problem?
Thanks a lot!!!

Did you try to swap the diode bridge between the channels ? Could be a diode mismatch. It’s also easy to swap all control boards and transformers if you used molex connectors.

Did you try to swap the diode bridge between the channels ? Could be a diode mismatch. It’s also easy to swap all control boards and transformers if you used molex connectors.
Thanks schrobbelbob! I just ordered a bunch of diodes and going to match them. Maybe that’s the problem. The control board work fine at the other working channel.

Latest posts

Back