DIY In Action

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello,

This is video project that I started one year ago and finished earlier this year, but am only now able to release it publicly. All of the tracking was live as you see it. What you hear is taking place in that space.

https://vimeo.com/380593489

All DI's and mic preamps were built by me to track this as well as a number of compressors and EQs used in the mixing and mastering chain.

I started building gear four years ago and have gone from not knowing anything to almost knowing a couple of things, but just that small increase feels as it has been an infinite amount of new knowledge. I contend that for me the ratio of what I learn to what I learn that I don't know is 1:10, but with the help and patience of the wonderful intellectual betters that reside here I am able to take a pile of parts and turn them into working audio circuits that are praised by other colleagues in the audio business. I hope that at some point I can be as helpful to others on the forum as the more learned members have been to me.

Thanks!

Paul

gltech said:
Great stuff. Fantastic singer. Would you share the vocal chain? Thanks.

Meant to reply to this earlier. For her vocal I used a DPA 4018L to a JLM Baby Animal with Lundahl input transformer and APP992 DOA. I used my Retro Instruments Powerstrip and UBK Modded fatso for compression/tape saturation (great for peaky high mids and sibliance) and then I wound up using a PCB Grinder PQ2. It's a lot of stuff but the vocal seemed to come out nice.

Thanks!

Paul

iprovlek said:
Awesome Potato cakes!Awesome....

I would be happy that you share with us DIY equipment which you use in action!

Here's a list of DIY gear I used for this project:

ez1290
CAPI VP25,26,28
Hairball Lola
APP MA1
JLM Baby Animal
JLM MAC Opto
GSSL w/turbo/Cavendish
DIY Racked MQ5
Bo Hansen DIs

Thanks!

Paul

Next chapter in this thread is a live record I mixed with all my builds I had started on over the years finally up an running:

https://slinky.to/9to5-TheMusical

This was recorded live at the Savoy theatre in August of last year. I was flown there to record a week of shows and then bring it back to my studio and mix it down. This was first thing I mixed after I finished fixing and modding my TAC scorpion that I wrote about here at GDIY. I also had completed my pair of UA176s, DIY racked 33609, ez760, TTx Zener TG, JLM Talkback, LAZ EQN, LAZ ACL, Sound Skulptor MC624, and a couple of other things I'm not thinking of right now. I took with me my 8 channel JLM Baby Animal rack and 6 mics for recording the audience.

If you've ever been (this was my first time), you know that the Savoy has no business having amplified sound in it as this technology for some reason wasn't a consideration at the time of construction. The inputs consisted of 20 omnidirectional mics (sown in the wigs of the cast and ensemble), singing while running about the stage accompanied by an 8 piece band, with speakers for the house and stage monitoring bleeding in to their mics. Then I had to take that and make it sound like a record. It was the most challenging thing I've ever worked on, but the client seemed very happy with the results of myself being inconvenienced by mixing in the analog domain.

Again, this is all live with most everything being rerun through analog gear built by myself from boards and kits sold by very generous and helpful individuals here as this fantastic little corner of the Internet. I plan on coming back here and sharing when new things I work on get released, not as self promotion per se, but to inspire newcomers that a guy like me, who never worked on circuit boards before 6 years ago and with only failure as my electronics education (and some physical harm), is now able to build gear from kits, PCBs, and even design my custom concoctions from which I am able to turn out commercial products that greatly surpasses the quality of any studio project I have ever completed in the last 20 years.

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes said:
Hello,

This is video project that I started one year ago and finished earlier this year, but am only now able to release it publicly. All of the tracking was live as you see it. What you hear is taking place in that space.

https://vimeo.com/380593489

All DI's and mic preamps were built by me to track this as well as a number of compressors and EQs used in the mixing and mastering chain.

I started building gear four years ago and have gone from not knowing anything to almost knowing a couple of things, but just that small increase feels as it has been an infinite amount of new knowledge. I contend that for me the ratio of what I learn to what I learn that I don't know is 1:10, but with the help and patience of the wonderful intellectual betters that reside here I am able to take a pile of parts and turn them into working audio circuits that are praised by other colleagues in the audio business. I hope that at some point I can be as helpful to others on the forum as the more learned members have been to me.

Thanks!

Paul

Love it! Splendid work!

Awesome! Can't wait to listen when I'm allowed to.... :-[

Never actually went to Dollywood but it brings back memories of the year I lived on Bluff Mountain.... and almost died not knowing how to drive in the snow....lol

Thanks for sharing your work! Incredible inspiration...

The fruit of GroupDIY is very sweet, what a wonderful achievement!

Well done Potato Cakes

DaveP

Back