DIY In Action

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potato Cakes said:
Meant to reply to this earlier. For her vocal I used a DPA 4018L to a JLM Baby Animal with Lundahl input transformer and APP992 DOA. I used my Retro Instruments Powerstrip and UBK Modded fatso for compression/tape saturation (great for peaky high mids and sibliance) and then I wound up using a PCB Grinder PQ2. It's a lot of stuff but the vocal seemed to come out nice.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks Paul, I just now saw this reply. Great job.

Well done.  Truly an inspiration to those who aspire to building their own gear.  A demonstration of how good DIY equipment can sound in the hands of a skilled engineer and great musicians.  The latter two still the most important ingredients.

Regards,
Jeff

Last year I mixed and mastered this guy's record again using my TAC Scorpion-in-name-only and gear I built.

https://soundcloud.com/ryanwebster/sets/always-blue-1

It's only two songs that have been released out of eleven.

I feel that I am starting to get lazy because of how much easier it seems to please clients by manipulating electrons instead of bytes. I just turn a real knob that goes to real array of components to make the track sound a little better than how it was and then push a fader until it is loud enough. And somehow, which is the strangest thing, I actually like listening to music when it is mixed this way.

I'm going to need a better marketing/hype department if I'm ever going to get that lucrative Waves deal...

Thanks!

Paul

Back