Passive Bass Drum Mic Filter Pt. 2 "Final"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayvel

EDIT: Samuel solved my inductor problems, so I've been able to proceed with an LCR design for this. The RC circuits I tried were just not as good, especially with respect to variations in source and load impedances. Skip down a few posts to see the "final" (yeah, right) design.

Here's a link to Part 1 of this thread-
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=7293

Well I was pretty smugly self-satisfied with my filter design until I took a look at the inductors I had here for my speaker project that I had designed my filter around. They are not 460mH as I thought, but 0.460mH. I was only three orders of magnitude off.

So it's back to the, uh, drawing board. I'm going to play with RC designs, trying a couple cascaded stages and taking a look at twin-t filters.

I'll be back.

Thanks Samuel, but their biggest one is 10mH. I think a half henry coil is gonna be pretty darn big.

I've been getting some good simulation results with variations on twin-t filters, though. The problem is that they're quite sensitive to variations in source and load impedance. I've been able to come up with a nice design for my BD mic (which it turns out is a "rated" 500 ohms - who knows what that really means) and preamp, but it looks hard to come up with a more general solution.

I'll be posting again, but I'm going to check things out a little more carefully this time. :green:

Try measuring inductances on some small audio transformers you have around.

400mH is in the area where many cheap 600:600 telephone transformers are..

Jakob E.

dayvel, you could include a small phantom powered active circuit so you can calculate your filter with a fixed input impedance instead of the unknown impedance of your preamp. Take a look at PRR's ribbon booster using two bipolar transistors in the active ribbon thread. Your only unknown variable, then, would be the mic output impecance. And if you plan to use it with just one mic, it wouldn't be too hard to work it out, I guess.

Thanks guys, turns out that 500mH inductors are pretty standard in wah-wah pedals too.

EDIT: I should have poked around the Wilco site a little more; I've got samples on the way. Too cool.

No I don't have a wah pedal, but I'll be able to build one now! Thanks again Samuel for the tip about Wilco. (See my edited post above.)

Now that my inductor problems have been solved (thank you, Samuel) here's a generalized design for the filter.

BDfilterFinal_circuit.GIF

This includes LoPass and HiPass rolloff filters but you can make this as simple or complex as you want; you can leave the HP and LP filters out, you can switch them in and out, you can switch between different values of Ctune to change the scoop frequency. Whatever.

Here are the response curves for Rsource=150R and Rload=5K, without and with the rolloff filters with Rdepth set to 1K -

BD_Filter_Final_Plots.GIF

The circuit is well behaved with a range of source and load impedances, mostly just level shifting.

Here's the SPICE code if you'd like to play with this-

Bass Drum Filter Variable LCR With Rolloff

*input resistors
Rin1 SIG31 SIG14 1000
Rin2 SIG6 SIG16 1000

*tuning and depth
*Rlim includes Rdc of L1
Ctune SIG14 SIG41 0.22u
Rdepth SIG41 SIG20 1000
Rlim SIG20 SIG42 500
L1 SIG42 SIG16 470m

*Source and load imp Rs1=Rs2=1/2 Zsource