Cheap little summing box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

In a recent email conversation I was told that old Data Tranfer Switches were available on eBay quite cheaply. So I looked and I found this one:

originalfront.png

Not terribly interesting until you see the back:

orignalback.png

when I immediately thought passive mixer. So I removed the guts, drilled a couple of holes at the front for XLRs and used one of my DB25 PCBs for the passive mixer itself. So right now I have this:

finishedfront.png

finishedback.png

finishedguts.png

and plenty of room for up to 40 channels of inputs.

The best bit is the box cost me just £4.99 including shipping.

Cheers

ian

Rob Flinn said:
I use these boxes to swap signals around between different recorders.    A steal at the price.

Mine had an incredible 25 pole 5 way switch. Wish I could think of a good audio use for that.

Cheers

Ian

Could you use the 5way switch to form a coarse gain control by switching how the sections  in one of your dual bobbin  output transformers are wired ?    Or maybe turn it into into a Bridged T  attenuator of some description .

Rob Flinn said:
I use these boxes to swap signals around between different recorders.    A steal at the price.

Very cool idea! How's the quality of these switches?

I have repurposed one of those switches to allow various sencondary configurations on an old DI transformer

Back