Boundary mics capsule fixed or free?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f0m3

Should a boundary layer mic capsule be fixed in the plane (maybe glued or pressed) to pickup sound from the plane or suspended by  e.g. foam to not pickup sound from the plane but only direct soundwaves?

Is my question
a) too complicated
b) irrelevant
c) not understandable
d) obviously stupid
?
;D

RuudNL said:
e) it could be that nobody knows

Thats a good answer! I just built one as a prototype with a glued in capsule (wm61a and schoeps circuit). Maybe ill do a second, same components but not glued capsule.

f0m3 said:
Should a boundary layer mic capsule be fixed in the plane (maybe glued or pressed) to pickup sound from the plane or suspended by  e.g. foam to not pickup sound from the plane but only direct soundwaves?

It will pickup sound in both ways, but the boundary mic was developed with the assumption that there's some boundary area to receive the sound from once the name used. It will be more efficient that way

Try it both ways and see which do you prefer, then you will have a better knowledge in the future for when a specific task appears you will know which would be the best way to use the mic for that particular task or the sound you looking for.

I like to use Boundaries as Room mics, actually I really like it, even the cheap Realistic ones with original metal plate,  so I tend to place them os a reflective surface that is big enough.
If I want less room, I maybe put them on a carpet or something that is not reflective although I as normally use them just for Room capture I prefer more Room sound on them than less Room.

Latest posts

Back