rane notes, gone? shows up as 404....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that would happen, but if true it would be missed...

It was always easier to tell people to go look it up there instead of answering their questions.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I doubt that would happen, but if true it would be missed...

It was always easier to tell people to go look it up there instead of answering their questions.

JR

I was looking for it today to reference something and it was gone.  I had to wayback machine it

Rane was taken over by InMusic. To be expected, I suppose?

Products are gone too, except for some DJ stuff...

Shame. That was a great resource. I went on a download/save spree when they got bought, but I fear there are many good notes I never got around to saving.

I did a crawl on the site, and unfortunately they didn't just take the index/default page down that was the entry point to the library. They actually removed the PDFs from the server.

Time to hit the Wayback Machine.

I've got these, if anyone needs them:

- Audio standards bewilder.pdf
- cable_outlook_SVC_OpenMic.pdf
- computer ground.pdf
- Cost_Effective_Noise_Masking_Systems.pdf
- Dynamics_Processors.pdf
- Enviromental_Effects_on_the_Speed_of_Sound.pdf
- High_Quality_Low_Voltage_Audio.pdf
- Interfacing_AES3_&_SPDIF.pdf
- Interfacing_Audio_&_POTS.pdf
- SCIN_Shield_Current_Induced_Noise.pdf
- SNMP_Simple_Network_Management_Protocol.pdf
- Sound_System_Interconnection.pdf
- Understanding_Acoustic_Feedback_&_Suppressors.pdf
- whitlock.pdf

rackmonkey said:
Shame. That was a great resource. I went on a download/save spree when they got bought, but I fear there are many good notes I never got around to saving.

I did a crawl on the site, and unfortunately they didn't just take the index/default page down that was the entry point to the library. They actually removed the PDFs from the server.

Time to hit the Wayback Machine.

perhaps we need to have a rane notes folder in the tech doc section

pucho812 said:
perhaps we need to have a rate notes folder in the tech doc section
If there are no copyright issues it wouldn't suck... It kind of sucks that the new crew does not appreciate the value of that resource.

===

Along similar lines I put a copy of Prof Sound's Drum Tuning Bible, up on my website after it went 404.... My suspicion is that Prof Sound died (its what old people do)... When earthlink stopped getting paid for the server space, they just erased it.

After I die I hope somebody else will host the bible (there are a handful of copies around the WWW). It is a worthwhile resource for drummers IMO.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
If there are no copyright issues it wouldn't suck... It kind of sucks that the new crew does not appreciate the value of that resource.

===

Along similar lines I put a copy of Prof Sound's Drum Tuning Bible, up on my website after it went 404.... My suspicion is that Prof Sound died (its what old people do)... When earthlink stopped getting paid for the server space, they just erased it.

After I die I hope somebody else will host the bible (there are a handful of copies around the WWW). It is a worthwhile resource for drummers IMO.

JR

whenever I get asked questions about tuning drums, I point them to circular science and the drum tuning bible.  8)

I wasn't paying close attention but it looks like Rane was purchased by a DJ company and they have turned the page on the entire old business...

Hard to imagine, but things change.

JR

cyrano said:
I've got these, if anyone needs them:

- Audio standards bewilder.pdf
- cable_outlook_SVC_OpenMic.pdf
- computer ground.pdf
- Cost_Effective_Noise_Masking_Systems.pdf
- Dynamics_Processors.pdf
- Enviromental_Effects_on_the_Speed_of_Sound.pdf
- High_Quality_Low_Voltage_Audio.pdf
- Interfacing_AES3_&_SPDIF.pdf
- Interfacing_Audio_&_POTS.pdf
- SCIN_Shield_Current_Induced_Noise.pdf
- SNMP_Simple_Network_Management_Protocol.pdf
- Sound_System_Interconnection.pdf
- Understanding_Acoustic_Feedback_&_Suppressors.pdf
- whitlock.pdf

Cyrano, I created a new Tech Docs topic called "Rane Tech Notes". I uploaded the well known "Grounding & Shielding of Audio Devices" note there. Feel free to populate the section with any of these if you have the time.  :D

I'm looking for others I downloaded, but I renamed most of them so they aren't as easy to find as they should be.

And anyone else, knock yourself out if you have some of these. Would be nice to have them handy again.

rackmonkey said:
Cyrano, I created a new Tech Docs topic called "Rane Tech Notes". I uploaded the well known "Grounding & Shielding of Audio Devices" note there. Feel free to populate the section with any of these if you have the time.  :D

I'm looking for others I downloaded, but I renamed most of them so they aren't as easy to find as they should be.

And anyone else, knock yourself out if you have some of these. Would be nice to have them handy again.

Seriously,,,,,, 

©1995 Rane Corporation

Perhaps approach the new owners for permission...  before exposing us to possible copyright infringement.

I communicated with Dennis Bohn before and he was pretty helpful, but I do not think he is still in charge.  Does anybody know the new owners?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Seriously,,,,,, 

©1995 Rane Corporation

Perhaps approach the new owners for permission...  before exposing us to possible copyright infringement.

I communicated with Dennis Bohn before and he was pretty helpful, but I do not think he is still in charge.  Does anybody know the new owners?

JR

I agree, I do not want groupdiy to be in any legal trouble. However since the owners just scrapped it, I doubt they will kick up any dust over it.  But, better to be safe than sorry.

Okay, maybe I jumped the gun. We’ll see where we get with management/legal.

Wouldn’t it be Dilbert-esque if, after making the material freely downloadable all these years, they came back and said “sorry, no dice”.

There is a different site which will convert a Yumpu magazine to a PDF you can download free. Quality is better than fair. So far it has not infested my cpmp9yre3

Latest posts

Back