rane notes, gone? shows up as 404....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
or you could visit the wayback link I posted before///

https://web.archive.org/web/20160112040747/https://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes

sorry if this isn't perfect.

JR

Yet another reason to support the Internet Archive. What an ambitious and useful project.

Was completing my collection of these notes using the Wayback Machine link, and had to post this intro John just posted the link to earlier. From the Rane Note, "Exposing Equalizer Mythology":

Introduction
John Roberts is one of my heroes. John wrote a regular
column for the now defunct magazine Recording Engineer/
Producer entitled “Exposing Audio Mythology”.
“Laying to Rest… or at least exposing the false premises
upon which they are based… some of the Pro-Audio
Industry’s more obvious ‘Old Wives Tales’ “— such was
the opening for John’s first column. Great stuff, you
could almost hear the theme music and see the masked
rider off in the distance.
He originally intended to do a few columns on the
most flagrant abuses, that was in early 1983. He continued
until mid-1986. Every issue, without fail, he waged
war on the myth-sayers. John is resting now. Myth
exposing is too much for one person. I’m arrogant
enough, and angry enough, to help out. So I thought I
would expose some of the most popular myths regarding
equalizers.

Yet another reason to support the Internet Archive. What an ambitious and useful project.

Was completing my collection of these notes using the Wayback Machine link, and had to post this intro John just posted the link to earlier. From the Rane Note, "Exposing Equalizer Mythology":

Introduction
John Roberts is one of my heroes. John wrote a regular
column for the now defunct magazine Recording Engineer/
Producer entitled “Exposing Audio Mythology”.
“Laying to Rest… or at least exposing the false premises
upon which they are based… some of the Pro-Audio
Industry’s more obvious ‘Old Wives Tales’ “— such was
the opening for John’s first column. Great stuff, you
could almost hear the theme music and see the masked
rider off in the distance.
He originally intended to do a few columns on the
most flagrant abuses, that was in early 1983. He continued
until mid-1986. Every issue, without fail, he waged
war on the myth-sayers. John is resting now. Myth
exposing is too much for one person. I’m arrogant
enough, and angry enough, to help out. So I thought I
would expose some of the most popular myths regarding
equalizers.
It can be a little disconcerting to read your own eulogy in a trade magazine... apparently Dennis Bohn was a fan of my old column, I was a fan of his work in National Semi app notes. I stopped writing my column because I became too busy working at Peavey. Dennis ASSumed I was an old gray hair who kicked the bucket. I made a point of introducing myself to him in the Rane booth at the next trade show.:)

JR

what a cool story;

used to read re/p all the time especially after I added to my TW duties in dbx engineering all of the dbx product marcomm, PR and advertising, or management thereof

rane and peavey were known-good companies and products, designed by real audio engineers, which an EE-saturated place like dbx was fully alert to (actually we had a few extremely clever and able engineering staff who were not academically credentialed, but then audio is also full of them too, Allison probably at the forefront)

dbx AES show preprints (white papers) were how lots of people learned about dynamics processing (me included).

Dave Blackmer (RIP) has some industry history with roots going back before dbx

the more recent That corp guys aren't exactly slouches either.

If you worked in dbx marketing back then did you know Larry Blakely?

JR

PS: After Dennis Bohn declared me dead, I went into the Rane booth at the next trade show and introduced myself. ;) He was obviously expecting a much older fellow.

I think that is probably true, that dbx was educative and above all that the euphony of soft-onset (overeasy, gradual-knee) compression was demonstrably superior.
David Blackmer was the guy who hired me, technically, having been told about my work as an audio journalist and in the BAS by Les Tyler, my boss. I had had zero interest in dbx and their ASP and bespoke NR; was a pubs dir in the public sector. But a friend had called me about the gig and so I consulted old acquaintances Roy Allison and Henry Kloss, who both said, Ooh, yes, it's a serious company full of smart audio EEs and does interesting and good work and oh btw did you know that Mark Davis just took a job there to design a speaker line? And I said omg omg omg I am so in. I knew about him from the BAS lec-dems and demos he did.
Les Tyler and Gary Hebert and Joe Lemanski (not to mention the late Rich Aylward), MDavis, Bill Allen, Chamness, John Buzzotta, Dave Bates, Don Boettger, Virginia Frisby, Mark Chambers, Win Craft, and above all Bob Adams ffs, were as good and smart, and patient w a TW, as a company can offer. I surely have left out lesser stars. Plus some smart marketing people, a few of whom had extraordinary ears. Just an outstanding crowd. Every six months there was a pathbreaking invention, it seemed. Not like any other company in audio in the 1980s.
Anyway, what you say about Thatcorp is true.
I regret that this all sounds in-joky and name-droppy and all that.
I started there a little after Blakely's day, end of 1981. Did not know him, but admired his marcom and updated plenty of it. I stayed through the 1980s until it all exploded and was sold off in pieces.

Latest posts

Back