Folder tracks finally in PT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
so basically in the audio folder there are a ton of subfolders for each track you make in pro tools?

Yes and no you record drums.  Vocals synths.  You nest drums into a drum folder and drums are displayed like a 9 track channel.  You have 3 vocal keeper tracks and 7 tracks of takes.  You nest 3 keeper tracks in Voc folder and you nest 4 in an outtake folder.  You have 6 synth tracks you nest in synth folder and it displays. A 6 track master but in a smaller format just like a 5.1. Or 7.1. surround track is displayed.  Your regions/clips folder stays organized and out take but keepers tracks stay organized without all the clutter.  Also you can assign outputs to folders to create instant stems.  There is much more in both edit and mix windows functions than I’m expressing here.  It’s been asked for at least 10 years.    I’m looking forward to using this.    When I was doing post on a movie or a trailer for movie, the tracks would multiply exponentially with 5.1 source material.  To manage all the Dialogue and FX tracks would get numerous.    Also you work in a template to create stems  so it’s  all doable with even PT10 but this is way more elegant.  It’s about time.

Very handy!
Although it doesn't say anything about different file folders on the disk 'audio files' folder. Think this is purely a UI thing?

Unfortunately they've dropped support for Sierra [10.12.6] with this update...

mrclunk said:
Very handy!
Although it doesn't say anything about different file folders on the disk 'audio files' folder. Think this is purely a UI thing?
Yes a UI operation not separate audio folders per say.

Unfortunately they've dropped support for Sierra [10.12.6] with this update...

I'm on High Sierra and am also considering 2020 to be my last year to pay the avid tax.  I've said this before so we'll see.  I can put a new video card in my 5.1 cheese grater and move to Mohave for a couple of years.  I plan on pulling plugIns this year and reducing tp the plugs I use rather then the long list of choices I don't use.  When in doubt, simplify.

o.k. I looked into this further...

looks like just another way to organize stuff in the edit window and mix window. 

Not a bad idea by any means  but I highly doubt it was the most requested feature for their latest version.
I can imagine  the most requested feature was to not bottleneck the software based on version. Meaning if you have pro tools you get everything without having to buy pro tools ultimate or any sort of extended price tag.  Then again I doubt abide would be interested in such an endeavor

This has been garden variety functionality in other DAW's for a while. I've been on Cubase since 2004 (was using ProTools since version 3 before that) and saw that announcement as "wait... you mean you DON'T have that?!?"

Avid needs to up their game. They're capitalizing on their market dominance instead of bolstering it. My .02, of course.

gnarmageddon said:
This has been garden variety functionality in other DAW's for a while. I've been on Cubase since 2004 (was using ProTools since version 3 before that) and saw that announcement as "wait... you mean you DON'T have that?!?"

Avid needs to up their game. They're capitalizing on their market dominance instead of bolstering it. My .02, of course.

Agreed! 

Still Its a nice implementation.  I could have used this 10 years ago when I did post all day everyday.

fazer said:
Agreed! 

Still Its a nice implementation.  I could have used this 10 years ago when I did post all day everyday.

+1

Pro Tools is like a Tape recorder with waveform display. ALL other DAWs have great functions implemented but AVID just count on you using third party Plugins. I Have to work with this pice of S..t every day and can't wait for Black magic to someday get Resolve to a point where it makes sense for Film Audio post.

Just look at the functions nuendo has built in...

Folder tracks 2020!? Its like a joke, but hey thanks a lot we have waited for it the last 15 years!

Back