M49 schematic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusTex64

I can't seem to locate a schematic for the original M49 (not M49 B or C). Specifically trying to determine if it has feedback or not (B and C have it). Just looked at all the stuff in the Tech Docs Neumann folder here. If someone has it or can point me somewhere on the web I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Thank you Moamps.

Hmm.... Any thoughts why they added it? Besides making the mics sound more consistent? The question I’m pondering is “does feedback sound better or not”? Obviously there are tradeoffs going either way. But U47, C12, ELAM 251 and early M49 all had no feedback. !

I built some mics using Gefell M94 capsules with tube buffers, no feedback. They are a bit bright sometimes.  So I built one with the Neumann KM54 feedback circuit, tuned to what I understand to be the Neumann spec for that mic from Uwe Sattler of Neumann. Bottom line is the mic without feedback was just more “alive” sounding, even if it needs a bit of LPF from time to time.

Latest posts

Back