Drip U73b

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I‘m almost done. Used Sowter and thought about Lundahl...no experience with edcor.

But I stuck  currently because of some issues with the power supply...as soon as I connect both channels to the power supply it won‘t make it up to 215v (only 200v max), that‘s not the case when I just power one channel.

And the meter needle is far away from zero, no meter light...
so I maybe not a big help.

Sadly Gregory is not answering since Months...but I guess no big news for you.

Impulsstudio said:
Yes, I‘m almost done. Used Sowter and thought about Lundahl...no experience with edcor.

But I stuck  currently because of some issues with the power supply...as soon as I connect both channels to the power supply it won‘t make it up to 215v (only 200v max), that‘s not the case when I just power one channel.

Did you build a single channel or stereo?

Michael Tibes said:
Does he provide schematics for his pcbs? If so, people here might be able to help...

Michael

Yes...all documents are published on dripelectronics.com (Gregory really did. a great job here)  and I get better in reading them(schematics) but it takes time.
I’ll leave a short “made it” here when the beast is alive.

Florian

Impulsstudio said:
Yes...all documents are published on dripelectronics.com (Gregory really did. a great job here)  and I get better in reading them(schematics) but it takes time.
I’ll leave a short “made it” here when the beast is alive.

Florian

Would appreciate any pics if you have the chance.

I’m just jumping on to see any updates that come from this. 

I purchased the U73b PCB from Drip, along with the Varicom, a couple months ago, but I haven’t started working on it yet. It seems like Gregory’s documentation is pretty thorough, but I have to admit I’m a little worried about starting on one of his projects (I have a couple of different PCBs of his) because his communication is so poor, and there aren’t really community build threads for any of them. I’ve had some luck getting ahold of Marie at Drip, but she passes technical questions along to Greg, and then the comms go dead.  Hopefully the folks here are able to work through this project and help the rest of us out!

Drip doesn't publically publish his schematics, I believe you receive them only when you buy from him.  This kindof keeps the possibility for help a bit limited...

Michael

One channel almost calibrated, last two steps still not working...have to leave this project for about 2 weeks alone,  but i’ll Update here when I’m back on track.

Attachments

• D70C24B3-DF7D-4579-B549-86C28D6C73E6.jpeg
    D70C24B3-DF7D-4579-B549-86C28D6C73E6.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 122
Impulsstudio said:
One channel almost calibrated, last two steps still not working...have to leave this project for about 2 weeks alone,  but i’ll Update here when I’m back on track.
Frontpanel is not very accurate, will do another one when I’m done and the varicom is installed.
5 or 6U instead of 4U...not much space left in there.

Attachments

• BF098397-C5BF-41B6-8A4B-3FB9A73C9016.jpeg
    BF098397-C5BF-41B6-8A4B-3FB9A73C9016.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 97
JMan said:
I’m just jumping on to see any updates that come from this. 

I purchased the U73b PCB from Drip, along with the Varicom, a couple months ago, but I haven’t started working on it yet. It seems like Gregory’s documentation is pretty thorough, but I have to admit I’m a little worried about starting on one of his projects (I have a couple of different PCBs of his) because his communication is so poor, and there aren’t really community build threads for any of them. I’ve had some luck getting ahold of Marie at Drip, but she passes technical questions along to Greg, and then the comms go dead.  Hopefully the folks here are able to work through this project and help the rest of us out![/color]

This is why I started this thread! I successfully built the Dla2a and owe a lot to the community thread here to guide me. I designed and fabricated the face plate. So I have some limited skills but it would be really nice to have some input from more skilled diyers.

chrisenglish said:
This is why I started this thread! I successfully built the Dla2a and owe a lot to the community thread here to guide me. I designed and fabricated the face plate. So I have some limited skills but it would be really nice to have some input from more skilled diyers.

It’s seriously appreciated!

Michael Tibes said:
Drip doesn't publically publish his schematics, I believe you receive them only when you buy from him.  This kindof keeps the possibility for help a bit limited...

Michael

I don’t know if it was different in the past, but I can say for sure that currently you do NOT receive any new documentation when you order.  You receive a package with a beautiful PCB set and the implicit suggestion to “figure it out.”  Any documentation they offer is on the website, and you’ve gotta just hope it’s complete and accurate (or have the know-how to catch any errors).  But the schematic is included in those documents.

One of the projects they offer, the Ultra British, has no documentation whatsoever available, not even a BOM.  I’ve emailed both Greg and Marie several times about that one and gotten absolutely zilch.

I guess I was mislead by the publically available manual which somehow implicates that there was another version of it including the schematics for paying clients. It seems like the schematic on the website is 'the one' - which is basically the original with some notes from Drip?

Michael

Michael Tibes said:
I guess I was mislead by the publically available manual which somehow implicates that there was another version of it including the schematics for paying clients. It seems like the schematic on the website is 'the one' - which is basically the original with some notes from Drip?

Michael

Yes.

Hi Guys,
I just came across this thread and was really surprised someone finally is building the drip U73b!
I'm also almost finished with my unit (I'm doing the dual mono version) but it looks like i have the same issues like Florian (Impulsstudio).
The Powersupply only makes 200V when i connect both channels and the Meters are also far from zero unfortunately...
How did you finally solve the problem Florian?
I really would appreciate some help in this case because I'm stuck for quite a while now.
Thanks a lot!!!

Impulsstudio said:

Got exactly the same problem... 200v max with bith channels and the needle is far from zero. No asweres from Gregory as well :(
How did you fix the issues though?
Thanx a lot!!

Impulsstudio said:

Update:
Finally I got a proper working unit, really sounds great! It was a hell of a ride but finally this beast is alive.

Thanks to Walter who helped me out with most of the issues.

Bugs:
Psu
Main pcb-relay  comp/lim, plate choke (v72 is the wrong one, take 1377 ...sowter)
Some resistors to replace or take out the circuit (R60, R47).

Back