Winding machine
« on: January 21, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »
Finally collected my Shenzen winder ,
For anyone wondering about whats inside the box its two motors ,one stepper motor connected to a ball screw for the traverse mech  and another larger motor with the shaft directly coupled to the part the bobbin mounts on . Everything looks well made and solid , only issue so far is they supplied it with a european plug and adapter without any ground connection  , easy to replace the mains plug in any case .
More to follow soon.

gyraf

Re: Winding machine
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 02:41:04 AM »
Keep us in the loop. Remember that lots of close-up pics makes us happy.

:-)

/Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 05:27:33 AM »
Cheers Jacob,
I misplaced a special micro sd to xd adapter card belong to my camera a good while back and thats hampered my abillity to document things properly here. I went to a few  local camera shops and they tried to embarrass  me into buying a new camera ,which I didnt take kindly to at all  >:(

I'll figure out a workaround and get up some gut shots up as soon as I can ,  for what its worth the build quality seems excellent , 2mm steel casework ,very solid  and rigid, the wiring is nice and tidy with that spiral cable tidy for neatness .
Absolutely no slop or play in any of the mechanical linkages either ,so looks like it should handle finer wires nicely .

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
Main drive motor has a 12mm shaft and a coupler on the end , Ive been fiddling around with various bits from the hardware store but the trouble is an M12 threaded bar wont mount up nicely to it , even the plain section of a cut down M12 bolt is marginally under 12mm ,so its wonky . While 12mm would probably be fine for larger transformers bobbins ,small inductor and transformers bobbins could be much to small to mount on that.

I was thinking of trying a  collet chuck , heres one from ebay , made for a 12mm motor shaft , including  a full set of spring collets its less than $30 .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Shaft-Collet-Chuck-ER20A-12mm-Rod-Tool-Holder-CNC-Milling-40CR-Type-A-Nut/401870468529

Looks like it would make an easy and accurate way of mounting up different work pieces ,any other ideas welcome.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 06:09:36 PM »
I saw some winding companies  stocked plastic containers with a ceramic insert at the top to allow the magnet wire unimpeded flow upwards off the spool  towards the machine or tensioner .
I found a cylindrical food container ,drilled a hole in  the end as it will sit upside down , pressed in a ceramic ring recovered from an old fishing rod ,   unsurprisingly it works exactly as it should , low friction as it unwinds yet enough when the machine is stopped to prevent any tendency for turns to unravel or snag up on the supply spool, 
Just for illustration of principle see pic below ,  I actually used a much smaller 1.4 liter bpa free food  container with the four side clasps  , It seems a worthwhile way to store  say half a dozen of the finer grade wires you might use regularly , keeps it safe from dust or debris and saves setting up time or having to mount up spools .

Whoops

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 02:34:54 PM »
Can you provide a link to the Shenzen winder?

thanks

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 03:57:19 PM »
There seems to be a few variations of it up on ebay , I bought mine from Germany .

cnc coil winding machine  search on ebay should find you some of the options , I got the one with the square buttons

https://www.ebay.de/itm/400W-Neu-Automatische-Spule-Wickler-Wickelmaschine-Einstellbar-CNC-0-03-1-2mm/122654965018?hash=item1c8ece3d1a:g:wmIAAOSwPpZZ5rw1

Thats the same machine as I got , price is still the same too. 

Whoops

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:01 AM »
I started out with a similar hand cranked winder a few years ago , winding with right hand and guiding the wire with the left I found awkward , also trying to do 5-10 thousand turns handcranked with  fine wire didnt work very well . After that I made my own small coil winder from a cordless electric drill with trigger speed control and mechanical turns counter . I did buy extra parts with the intention of adding a  traverse and electronic counter , but in the end I cut my losses and  settled for the Chinese unit which Im very happy with .

Whoops

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 07:05:50 AM »
After that I made my own small coil winder from a cordless electric drill with trigger speed control and mechanical turns counter . I did buy extra parts with the intention of adding a  traverse and electronic counter , but in the end I cut my losses and  settled for the Chinese unit which Im very happy with .

Totally understand, would love to get one of those units.

What type of transformers are you rewinding?

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 03:19:25 PM »
Chokes and transformers for tube gear will be my main focus ,
but I might try neve style EQ inductors also .
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:25:04 PM by Tubetec »

Whoops

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 08:50:28 PM »
Nice, when you have some works done share with us

thanks

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 10:22:16 PM »
The finer the wire your working with the more precisely you need to chuck up the bobbin or former to get a quality result ,
Any kind of visible wobble on a shaft turned by hand translates into vibration at higher rpm , and a coil thats a mess.
I have a bunch of stuff on order via slow boat to help ,but until that arrives  I havent even applied power to the machine :-[

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 05:40:25 AM »
Interested too  :)

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 06:40:05 PM »
I've started to wind a few test coils up on the machine , resolution of the traverse mech is 0.02 mm per revolution ,but like CJ said smooth flow of the magnet wire off reel , over guides and rollers is key to a good wind , to that end I've added some bearing guided ceramic rollers to help iron out 'memory' off the supply reel , correct bend radius and break angles off the guides/rollers make all the difference  especially with finer wire grades which you need for tube work . 40awg triple build motor grade is the finest wire Ive dared use so far , of course winding tension vs diameter also needs to be figured into the equation.