pH

emrr in new Tape Op
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:21:46 AM »
Nice article on Doug Williams (better known around these parts as emrr) in the new issue of Tape Op.
Congrats Doug! We're fortunate to have you as an active contributor here.

MartyMart

Re: emrr in new Tape Op
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 03:39:02 AM »
Nice one Doug :-)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

EmRR

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 05:01:40 AM »
Thanks guys, didn't know it had hit the streets yet!  Silly old interview from awhile back.  Amazing how long the mouth-to-press cycle is.  I'm definitely the 'pinch-hitter' among the heavyweights in that issue. 
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

rotation

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:17:16 AM »
Nice to hear that. What were you talking about in that interview? Is it one one page or shorter?
I checked Quimby where they are selling old issues. The last one they have is #49. It looks like it will have to become vintage before i can read it :)

Miha
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:46:18 PM by rotation »

EmRR

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »
Wow, #49!  I think it's #73 now.  It's 3 pages, almost exclusively about recording The Avett Brothers.   The writer wanted to focus on the last record I did with them, did the interview back in Dec, I think.  Seems like a million years ago. 
Best,

Doug Williams

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:57 PM »
Nice one...

rotation

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
Wow, #49!  I think it's #73 now.  It's 3 pages, almost exclusively about recording The Avett Brothers.   The writer wanted to focus on the last record I did with them, did the interview back in Dec, I think.  Seems like a million years ago. 

I find it extremely strange that they didnt give more attention to your collection (and knowledge about it) of vintage american gear. It is not that i dont care about the band, but with all *sound engineers* we have today i would think something like this would be even more interesting.
This makes me remember CJs interview with Rein Narma. At that time no one wanted to publish it, but everyone want(s)ed Fairchild compressor...Hmm

pucho812

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
congrads. Now where is that Guinness Icon?
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

DIYnoob!

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
Great article doug! People like you give me hope for DIY!
I touched two conductors today...the conductor with AC rattled my mouth, the one with DC kept it shut :)

Whoops

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
Great Interview Doug, really nice read.
Will check that record, thanks

If anyone's interested nowadays you can read past Tapeop articles for free in the website.
The online subscription of the magazine is also free

https://tapeop.com/

EmRR

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 04:07:49 PM »
Wow that's a long time ago.   Different lifetime. 
Best,

Doug Williams

JohnRoberts

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
Wow that's a long time ago.   Different lifetime.
maybe we need a wayback forum....?

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
https://tapeop.com/interviews/73/doug-williams/

Pair of B&K's  pointed at the lid of the grand with a baffle between was usual set up in the place I worked , we'd have the hammers mic'd too but that always sounded like 'hole in the head' stereo with certain notes way too in your face and some seeming distant ,  much better balance with the omni's .Proximity to the lid controls the amount of room ,
I forget who it was said it but , never put a mic somewhere you wouldnt put your ear ,thats not appropriate in every situation , but where you want a natural sound its a great starting point .

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »
A decent upright like a C.Bechstien in good nick can give many modern cheaper grands a good run for their money , getting rid of the top and front baffles lets the sound hit the room way better too .

EmRR

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »
Wow
Best,

Doug Williams