Show us your ADM console modules and info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
there seems to be a lot of ADM modules floating around, both Mic channels and EQ modules.
These are highly regarded consoles and circuits, with input and output transformers, their own designed discreet Opamp and inductor based EQ's although there's less info and docs on ADM than other major manufacturers, and some of the info is mostly unreadable.

I would like to invite you all to post pictures and share info of your modules in this thread, and if share your ADM schematics/service docs in the ADM Technical section of this forum:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45601.msg767879#msg767879

Here are pictures of the 2 modules I own, one mic channel and one EQ.
They have no model number, the mic preamp has the ADM output Transformer "3-010-5197-0", quite common in ADM units.
There's an a round input transformer, don't know the brand or model it's stamped with this numbers "3-010-5944-0  1006  2787"
And it used the ADM 202 discreet opamp
The EQ module looks similar to the 1554 EQ, although it's DBX based and not Inductor based.
I have no info regarding taht these might be from a broadcast console of the mid to late 80s.

If anyone has info on what these models might be, any schematic or layout please let me know.

Z87xVzk.jpg

dX4FYOr.jpg

fYOdYxIt.jpg

Here is the input module without the switches pcb that mounts on top

keVnrxZ.jpg

here is the EQ module

gsapjqr.jpg

ajZBfC9.jpg

48vcN8fm.jpg

EmRR said:
That input may be a Microtran.

thanks I will search for it. But it could also be UTC made, I've just checked and it's exactly the same size and an UTC 0-12 I have, also the 2 screw holes are in the same place and have the same exact distance.

That ouncer size was very common, with several manufacturers copying the basic original UTC can type. Thordarson, Microtran, Super-electric and Sescom all made versions of it. There were probably others. So the can dimensions won’t tell you much.

The pins would be the best clue, if it has pins.

It could also be from one of the small transformers makers in the midwest that ADM contracted out to often. See the quote from Tom Chrapkiewicz (ex-ADM engineer) in CJ’s post on the black ADM output. The only name he remembered was “SHC”. But it very well could have been from one of those. 

In the end, I don’t think it matters much as UTC O-8s were used so frequently in their modules that chances are good it’s just a similarly spec’ed input from one of their small suppliers. Pure speculation, but I’d put money on it. The schematics for several different units from that era specify an O-8 or “SAW-469”. I’d think that the latter is a copy of the former. 

I don't have any schematics unfortunately, but I do have a pair of 1541 active inductor EQs (racked by the chap who was doing them in bulk a while back), purchased second/third-hand here. They're fine EQs, limited in frequency choice but with a very nice rock-'n'-roll character (in a good way). Great on drums, bass, and guitar. They have O-17s as inputs (edit: O-8 in an O-17 can).

I pulled this pic together when working up parts for a recap (and looking into potentially fitting some more modern ICs, though I've not as yet done that). I need to redo the rack-job at some point as it's a bit of a bodge, and the bypass switches don't work well - it seems a bit random whether they'll engage or not, though whether that's the switch or the logic circuit I'm not sure. Might just replace all that with a nice relay bypass.

I've seen some of those 4-band IC-based EQs around on eBay and the like, have you heard yours yet? Would be interested to hear how you find it.

PS - thanks for the link to Rogan, Brian - some of their offerings look verrrrry similar to some old Ward Beck knobs I've been trying to source for a while. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• ADM 1541 layout_resize_54.jpg
    ADM 1541 layout_resize_54.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
rackmonkey said:
In the end, I don’t think it matters much as UTC O-8s were used so frequently in their modules that chances are good it’s just a similarly spec’ed input from one of their small suppliers. Pure speculation, but I’d put money on it. The schematics for several different units from that era specify an O-8 or “SAW-469”. I’d think that the latter is a copy of the former.

It makes total sense.
It doesn't matter that much to me also, could be UTC or any other, more a matter of curiosity than relevance.

I found the model for my Mic input model is M2901, I able to find the same modules online with that number and them I realized that model number was also handwritten in a sticker on the chassis

48vcN8fm.jpg

maybe M2901-6540 as it's written although the same module in a Ebay listing was listed as M2901-110

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADM-Technology-M2901-110-Discrete-Mic-Preamp-Fair/143494085993?hash=item2168e9fd69:g:YVcAAOSwpoFdhSHQ

https://reverb.com/item/10055903-adm-2901-preamp-1554-eq-1970-s-grey

TwentyTrees said:
I don't have any schematics unfortunately, but I do have a pair of 1541 active inductor EQs (racked by the chap who was doing them in bulk a while back), purchased second/third-hand here. They're fine EQs, limited in frequency choice but with a nice rock-'n'-roll character (a bit gritty, in a good way). Great on drums, bass, and guitar. They have O-17s as inputs.

I pulled this pic together when working up parts for a recap (and looking into potentially fitting some more modern ICs, though I've not as yet done that). I need to redo the rack-job at some point as it's a bit of a bodge, and the bypass switches don't work well - it seems a bit random whether they'll engage or not, though whether that's the switch or the logic circuit I'm not sure. Might just replace all that with a nice relay bypass.

I've seen some of those 4-band IC-based EQs around on eBay and the like, have you heard yours yet? Would be interested to hear how you find it.

PS - thanks for the link to Rogan, Brian - some of their offerings look verrrrry similar to some old Ward Beck knobs I've been trying to source for a while. Much appreciated.

O-17 is the model number of the shielding can. The transformer is probably a UTC o-8

I sold all of ours - we had some very early modules with EQ, and a pair of compressors. I will have to dig for pics. Reverb had a few, it was long enough ago that eBay did not have any saved still. I still have about 18 output transformers.

Attachments

• oql9aus1veqlkem0omq5.jpg
    oql9aus1veqlkem0omq5.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1
  • o0cv8gnne9iqgbnsh6de.jpg
    o0cv8gnne9iqgbnsh6de.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 1
I sold all of ours - we had some very early modules with EQ, and a pair of compressors. I will have to dig for pics. Reverb had a few, it was long enough ago that eBay did not have any saved still. I still have about 18 output transformers.

Do you know the model numbers of those modules in your photos?

any pics of the Output transformers you have?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back