Bo Hansen DI Challenge

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardus

WILL SOLDER FOR FOOD
No longer in NY and below the Mason Dixon line.
I posted this over in the Bo Hansen thread in "The Lab" subforum, but I don't know if anyone is seeing it there. I figured this would be an appropriate place also. User Whoops asked me to do this, so I had some time last night and I did it.

This is my Avalon Jacques Stotzem Signature Model guitar played through 4 different Bo Hansen DI's, with 4 different transformer flavors, and one wildcard DI. They are simply labeled 1-5. There is no compression or processing of any kind. I just edited the clips to clean up the front and back, and exported and normalized.

Signal path is Guitar>DI>SSL 9000 500 Series Preamp>Tascam DA-3000

It has a Fishman pickup system in it, and this might be the first time I have ever used it. I always just play it as an acoustic, so I didn't fool around with the settings too much.

DM me here after you've listened and want to know which was which.

https://soundcloud.com/ricardus/sets/di-challenge

What are Bo Hansen’s? I only know that name via he composer that wrote Lord Of The Rings music in the 70’s  and choral pieces he did later.

Ryan

FarisElek said:
What are Bo Hansen’s? I only know that name via he composer that wrote Lord Of The Rings music in the 70’s  and choral pieces he did later.

Ryan

Bo Hansen active DIs. They're awesome:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36569.0

http://www.hansenaudio.se/techpage.htm#active%20DI-box,%20my%20work%20horse%20from%201975

Wow, it’s thee Bo Hansen that designed these too?! I think I smell a project on the horizon.

That’s two different guys, Bo Hansén is a technician in Gothenburg and the one who came up with this famous (at least here) DI-box. Bo Hansson was a composer and organ player from Stockholm who in 1969/70 wrote music inspired by the Lord of the Rings books.

Sredna said:
That’s two different guys, Bo Hansén is a technician in Gothenburg and the one who came up with this famous (at least here) DI-box. Bo Hansson was a composer and organ player from Stockholm who in 1969/70 wrote music inspired by the Lord of the Rings books.
Funny (or not), notice the accent mark over the e in Bo Hansén's name...  Recently while trying to ship a package to Sweden using USPS website, it kept rejecting the package address with no explanation why... on my third try I manually typed over the  é and replaced it with an unaccented  e.... Then the address was accepted... cut and paste is accurate, but apparently too accurate for USPS.  ::)

Stupid computers.

JR

Incredible DI, I too built a good bundle of them fitted Carnhill/St. Ives transformers instantly became my favourite active DI especially for Acoustic Guitar. Certainly better than most commercial DI’s in my humble opinion of course. I

Funny (or not), notice the accent mark over the e in Bo Hansén's name... Recently while trying to ship a package to Sweden using USPS website, it kept rejecting the package address with no explanation why... on my third try I manually typed over the é and replaced it with an unaccented e.... Then the address was accepted... cut and paste is accurate, but apparently too accurate for USPS. ::)

Stupid computers.

JR
Tell me about it, I have an "l'accent Aigu" in my surname. And then they tell you to enter your name exactly how it's stated on ID, just to tell you "YOU'RE ILLEGAL"

Been curious on this DI, seems to be a popular project. The nicest sounding DI I've used is the one in my Empirical Labs Lil'Freqs.

I'm building a quad active DI based on passive DI's with THAT 1512/1646 preamp following. Hoping it will sound good...

Attachments

• IronDI + THATpre.jpg
    IronDI + THATpre.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 38
Back