Musical ID app

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Someone demonstrated a phone app to me last night , you allow it use of the mic in the phone to listen to music and within a couple of seconds the name of the artist and song appears on the screen , it seemed to work , Dont know what the name of it is ,so anyone interested can dig it up for themselves , probably more than one app can do it .

I sometimes use SoundHound (for Android).

Just curious at how many different places this was originally invented & developed.
I recall song-recognition being demonstrated at an (internal) research exhibition within Philips, long ago.
No idea if that went nowhere, or actually might have a building block or point of departure for these present day applications.

I know search engines have been quite good at using text of a lyric from a song to identify it for a good few years.
My guess is speech to text software is the key behind these music id apps  , virtually every app incorporates elements of this nowadays ,either to take voice commands or to better market to you , or to help swing voters make up their minds in elections .
The big internet power players are the front for it all ,but who's behind it ? the mickeymen of course  8) .

There are multiple smart phone apps that do this.

I have been thinking of a variant that I can use to recognize TV commercials and dim the volume after the Nth time playing.  I was thinking of using a crude FFT to generate a recognizable pattern signature. 

Like so many of my ideas, I will probably never do this .

JR

The technology for Shazam (I believe it was the first successful take on this capability) was originally developed to help geologists detect seismic events and tectonic movement that would predict earthquakes. I can’t recall whether it was the original inventors or another party that thought to adapt it to detecting musical signatures.

But pretty cool stuff regardless.

Tubetec said:
Someone demonstrated a phone app to me last night , you allow it use of the mic in the phone to listen to music and within a couple of seconds the name of the artist and song appears on the screen , it seemed to work , Dont know what the name of it is ,so anyone interested can dig it up for themselves , probably more than one app can do it .

It's probably Shazam,

"within a couple of seconds the name of the artist and song appears on the screen", and also the artwork related to the song or album and nowadays even the Video appears listening to the song

Latest posts

Back