Dolby A301 Noise Reduction Unit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daArry

Hi...

I've just picked up an old (1966?) 2 chan version of one of these which came out of Air studios orignally - looked useful for parts n metalwork if nothing else...

aad.jpg

As pictued above (but with 2 lil meters on the main module and big box attached to the back) It's a 6U beasty with 8 plugable modules (4x compressor, 2x amplifier and 2x control) and a big main psu section (also plugable). Are there any creative ideas to make use of these modules? Or would it be sacrilegious to mess about with it at all...?

Cheers!

We had one of those, it came with the legendary 6 Neumann U67s, a tube 2-track, 2 tube mixers and a load of other kit that we paid £800 for back in 1987...

Ours was serial number 007. It was known as the "S/N stretcher" and is basically the early Dolby 'A' series noise reduction.

You can use it as-is for the legendary "breathy" vocal trick by just putting it in encode and leaving it there. -Or you can decode old A-type encoded material.

I'd leave it alone but then I'm a sentimentalist.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Damn, that was quite a score u got there! the bond edition to eh :) serial on this one is 1084...

That vocal app sounds interesting will give it a shot :thumb:

I'd leave it alone but then I'm a sentimentalist.

Fairplay - will leave it to mature some more then ;)

Cheers.

does anyone have the manual/schematic for this?

i just got one. i've emailed dolby twice now but haven't got a response.

thanks,

byron

[quote author="punk"]does anyone have the manual/schematic for this?

thanks,

byron[/quote]

I have one of these stored for quite a while and would also be very interested in a schemo.

Michael

[quote author="punk"]does anyone have the manual/schematic for this?

thanks,

byron

I have one of these stored for quite a while and would also be very interested in a schemo.

Michael
[/QUOTE]

An eBay seller Studio.Electronics sells copies of the manual schematic for $35 And there is a really cool young Electrical Engineer in Brooklyn that makes the hard to find Alignment Extender Cat no. 6B to calibrate the unit. The name is Tubular Audio on Reverb

Latest posts

Back