You all think this sony c800g clone will be a flop?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the youtube

The PS tubes are set-up as diodes what is he talking about?

I still think people don't know what is going on with the cooler and how things could be changed

What capsule?  Do I see red rings or are they pink?

Note the interviewer said they never saw a microphone like that at the beginning but at the end says something like it is not known if the Sony microphone is still available?
What is that about?

Great...  A lot of talking, but how does it sound compared to the original?
And they used diodes instead of tubes (as in the original). "Because it sounds better".
A nice side effect is that the diodes are a lot cheaper...

I did a search and found a picture of the inside of the microphone

Who cares about the PCB material

Something that matters more was not copied

Who wants to guess what this is?

Why do people want clones?

Make something better or different.

Gus said:
I did a search and found a picture of the inside of the microphone

Who cares about the PCB material

Something that matters more was not copied

Who wants to guess what this is?

Why do people want clones?

Make something better or different.

Isn't the capsule of the og sony c800g, sony's shot at cloning the 67's capsule therefore if the capsule is not exactly the one in the  og c800g then it would sound significantly different and plus this clone wont have tubes either yikes...

The whole point of Sony's marketing is about the c800g price. This mic is just insanely expensive and Sony is increasing and increasing its price just to be sure that it is out of any competition. So this clone doesn't make any sense. Who's gonna buy it? It's not insanely expensive, just regularly expencive. So what would I say to my clients instead of "do you know, that you are singing into the most expensive mic in the world"? "Hey, you are singing into the clone of the most expensive mic in the world, and, you know, it has a ceramic PCB"? Are you kidding me?

I'd rather buy a bunch of used Neumanns for this amount of money.  Clients really love the brand and I can always mod and tweak them if I don't like the sound. Their capsules are outstanding and circuits... are not a big problem :)

https://www.bestpcbs.com/products/thick-film-ceramic-pcb.htm

Various types of ceramic PCBs are used extensively for high temperature/pressure environments, so it shouldn't be a problem.

any idea from where this capsule originates? If this mic is any close to a C800 then it's not an "average china k67" capsule (also the price tag forbids that)...

The price tag doesn't forbid diodes so why not? :)

By disassembling a C800G and handing it´s capsule to a manufacturer with more than twenty years of microphone capsule production experience, they were able to produce a capsule that matched the characteristics of the original one. The capsule used in the GA-800G can handle a higher sound pressure level than the original one and it has almost the same sound character.

Since there are no country names involved in the marketing texts it is Chinese.

xeawr said:
The question is, who is it? GZ?

It doesn't matter really, just curious...
That wouldn't surprise me, though if it's a Chinese clone of the C800G capsule the mics shouldn't cost almost $5K.  They made it sound like it was an exact reproduction using the same components, at least from what I saw.

I think Guosheng's capsules are great (i wish he made a proper chambered CK12, but obviously that would be expensive), but if it is his capsule, they shouldn't be charging nearly $5K for the mic and acting like it's the same as them using a proper C800G capsule, since that capsule is over $1000.

Do a search for the GA website and look at the pictures.

"pseudo diodes" A 6AU6 wired as a diode is a diode.

Is it UL or CE etc listed? I don't see any thing in the pictures at the web site or the about.

I don't understand this clone stuff.

I totally understand that there's a market for a C800G clone,
and I totally understand why people would be interested in buying it,
what i just don't get is why a clone is as expensive as this mic.

Normally people want clones because of scarcity of the real thing or high prices.
Makes sense to want to have a similar thing for a much lower price, but this chinese clone is just too expensive for the clone market.
Like dbelousov you can buy Neumann's mics for that price.

If this chinese clone mic was 400€ I don't think it would be a flop.
But at this price, 3800€, I think it will be

Although I don't have a very radical opinion on this subject I do question the market for these upper class tube condenser microphones. The sE RNT comes to mind as well, being a high quality (I guess) microphone with the corresponding price tag. I guess the buyers are out there somewhere, else they wouldn't be doing it, right?
Man I feel so cheap now with my Neumanns

Latest posts

Back