Nanocad

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbey road d enfer

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
After about 30 years of Autocad, I had to give up because of the outrageous pricing policy. Draftsight provided a welcome replacement, but because the change of policy last year, I had to find another (free) alternative.
I tried LibreCad and DoubleCad; both were not satisfactory either by lacking functionalities or by a weird UI.
I'm happy to report that NanoCad provides me with a UI that's absolutely consistent with Autocad (same shortcuts).
Learning curve was almost inexistent and I have experienced 100% bug-free operation in 3 Weeks of daily use.
Only factor that could deter some is that it comes from Russia. I must admit I was a little worried when I pressed the download button. So far I have no sign of the KGB spying on me...

Pity it is windows only.

I use QCAD. I don't know if it has an AutoCAD like interface because I never used AutoCAD. However, for about 33 Euros one off payment the professional version does everything I need and it works across all three major platforms.

Cheers

Ian

Draftsight was perfect for my needs.  Quite frustrating that they changed their policy, many were upset by this.

Nanocad seems to work ok but requires a constant internet connection,  so lots of phoning home probably going on.

ruffrecords said:
Pity it is windows only.

I use QCAD. I don't know if it has an AutoCAD like interface because I never used AutoCAD. However, for about 33 Euros one off payment the professional version does everything I need and it works across all three major platforms.

Cheers

Ian
Yes, I forgot about QCAD. It looked promising till it crashed on me. I uninstalled it since. Anyway I didn't feel comfy with its UI. Shortcuts are utterly different than Autocad's.

abbey road d enfer said:
Does it? I've been without internet for 3 weeks, it didn't prevent me to work...

Hmm,  how did you do that? I registered and got a license,  but every time offline reverted to limited demo mode.  Is there a way to get an offline license?

john12ax7 said:
Hmm,  how did you do that? I registered and got a license,  but every time offline reverted to limited demo mode.  Is there a way to get an offline license?
I don't remember how exactly, but IIRC when you open NanoCad you have the choice to get a serial Nr. I received two emails from them with a S/N and a password.
Anyway, I think you can do it from this page:
https://nanocad.com/page/InstallationGuide

abbey road d enfer said:
Yes, I forgot about QCAD. It looked promising till it crashed on me. I uninstalled it since. Anyway I didn't feel comfy with its UI. Shortcuts are utterly different than Autocad's.
I tend not to use short cuts because they are utterly different for each type of CAD package, 2D, 3D, PCB, spice etc. I much prefer a right click menu.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back