The King of Audio is back

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am originally from texas so next time I go back to visit will stop in and say Hi. Thanks for the post but we already discussed said mic pre... Curious about that silk button. but anyway :thumb:

Regarding the Silk button:[quote author="Rupert Neve"]SILK FEATURE:
The RND 5012 uses mainly single-sided amplifier circuitry that excludes any possibility of crossover distortion. The ?SILK? button reduces negative feedback and adjusts the frequency spectrum to provide a very sweet and musical performance.[/quote]
The front end of this sounds very much like the 9098i front end... which is not unlike a certain type of coloured pre that youd get if you mixed blue paint with yellow paint... -if you get my drift!!!

The output will very likely be a pumpkin output (they're over $100 eack for the pumpkin tx) and the PSU looks from the spec sheet to act like a switch-mode affair.

Keith

"An external low voltage supply of 9 to 18 volts DC is needed to feed a module."

yeah with a statement like that I would expect a DC-DC converter design.. it's very easy to get differential rails from a single rail using a switching PSU.. in fact they make all-in-one converters that are for use with differential opamps.

http://www.cdpowerelectronics.com/products/category.asp?ID=1

are some that I have used..

I'd still like to see what's inside though.. i wonder if it's discrete or using some kind of high speed amps...

[quote author="SSLtech"]The output will very likely be a pumpkin output (they're over $100 eack for the pumpkin tx)[/quote]

keith-

are you talking about that orange torroid thing they used in the 70's or is there a manufacturer called pumpkin (couldnt google anything)?

I had read these were discrete pre's but have always felt they wouldnt be, will be good to see one open.

dave

Well I never...

I called an old friend of mine to ask about an unrelated matter, and he informed me that he is no longer working for his old company. He is now head of sales for the new Rupert Neve products. He and Rupert were together when I called him on his cellphone.

I mentioned that I had been looking at the preamps and this is what I was told:

The output tranny is an entirely new custom-designed affair. The box is jam-packed. If you open the lid, you'll wonder how it might be possible to fit so much as a single additional resistor in there! -There's lots of discrete stuff in there, and...

..here's the big one...

I'm getting one!.

Hoorah!

In addition to the side-by-side 1U rack mounting option, as well as the rack-mount-plus-PSU option there's also going to be a console frame that you can load up with these things. Build your own Neve console using new, no-expense-spared modules. Both the last two options come with new panel overlays to re-orient the text and rotary control legends corrently.

WOW!

Keith

Hi Keith,
Do you think it's possible to ask THE LEGENDARY - THE ONE AND ONLY Mr. Neve to spare a few minutes of his valuble time saying a few word in regards to his design philosophy?

It would be a real honor and absolute previlige not to mention once a life time oppotunity to be able to learn from the LEGEND himself, sharing his thoughts based on his life time experience of building audio gears and perception in application of IC vs discrete active devices?

I hope that is not too much to ask........ gah gah.....

:green:

Hey, I heard they will let you try it for one week for "free."

They are confident that once you try, you'll buy.

Latest posts

Back