Words of Encouragement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendandwyer

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

So i just want to say to all the newbies in the group (of which i still consider myself one despite numerous successful projects):

Just when you think you'll never even be able to quickly read resistor color codes and that this hobby (aka way of life) may not be for you, one day you'll pick a project with a ton of resistors in it.  One that didn't come in a kit, one that perhaps you reverse engineered yourself, and you simply can't stand to wade through mouser's bag after bag hunting for the right resistor.

It will suddenly occur to you that you know what a 100k 1 watt resistor's color code is. 

And you will likely say to yourself...holy shit...thank god for small victories!

Now film capacitor case codes...yeesh!  Haha

Well, i've been dabbling in electronics for half my life (at least 15 years so far), and i'm still not 100% sure what colours and in what order go from 5 to 8 ;D

That being said, depending on the base colour, sometimes it can be quite a b*tch to tell the difference between black and/or brown and/or red. Or at least in my case, anyway...

Knock on wood, no need to deal with colour-codes on caps, though. Not ones i've encountered or have been interested in :p

It's funny, when I took electronics in high school I knew color codes cold. I grew up building Heathkit stuff with my dad in the 70s and whatever interesting projects there were in Popular Electronics and Radio Electronics. I've actually forgotten the color code now, and only know that it vaguely resembles the spectrum in order. ROY G BIV.

The real issue for me, though it telling what the actual color is by looking at the resistors. Sometimes one shade resembles another, sometimes it's just too small, etc...

Ricardus said:
It's funny, when I took electronics in high school I knew color codes cold. I grew up building Heathkit stuff with my dad in the 70s and whatever interesting projects there were in Popular Electronics and Radio Electronics. I've actually forgotten the color code now, and only know that it vaguely resembles the spectrum in order. ROY G BIV.

The real issue for me, though it telling what the actual color is by looking at the resistors. Sometimes one shade resembles another, sometimes it's just too small, etc...
Yes, but perhaps don't repeat the old mnemonics used to help us remember the resistor color codes (hint: included "young girls" for yellow(4) and green(5) and "bad boys" for black(0) and brown (1). 

Not remotely PC in today's social culture climate (or back then but memorable).

JR

I quit on learning resistor color code, what I figured out is that I cant tell the difference between red and brown or orange, also I cant tell the difference between purple and blue, specially in those blue or green resistors, and so on, so I eventually have to take out my DMM to figure out the value.

I grew up with AB  carbon resistor 1/2 watt.  Very clear colors so easy to read.  The small 1/8 watt 5 bands are tricky but once I see a few I adapt quickly.  I still. DMM a few to double check.  Whatever  works for you.    Just keep building. 

Color codes need natural light. Sunlight or hot incandescent. All other lamps (unless really special) have color dips.

One remark here strongly suggests color-blindness, which is much more common than most folks realize. You can self-check with Ishihara Test dots. The on-line images are not 100% true color but will indicate real-good or dubious.

JohnRoberts said:
Yes, but perhaps don't repeat the old mnemonics used to help us remember the resistor color codes

I still recite that particular one in my head even though I don't need it.  Old habits die hard  ???
  :) 

I learnt the colour code when there were only three bands plus a gold or silver on e for tolerance. Nowadays with failing eyesight and four bands to consider I find it hard to read so I don't any more. Instead I store all the resistor values I need in draws with the value marked on them in plain English. Resistors are so cheap I recommend every DIYer buys  one of those ready made kits with  10 or so resistors of each value in the E24 range over the usual span from 10 ohms to 1Meg. It is a small investment that will amply repay itself.

I also have a cheap microprocessor based component checker with a couple of croc clips permanently wired to it so I can easily check the actual values of a resistor, capacitor or inductor.

Cheers

ian

Cheers

ian

The luxury of DIY is that we can measure to match components to virtually spot on. That's why I started it.I have never even attempted to learn colour codes.

For me any new insight into a schematic or understanding of what a component does and why it has to have that specific value is a revelation and a personal victory.

And this place is THE place to learn about it for non-electronics people like me -- thanks to all the really great people here who share more knowledge here than they could possibly  gain. Forever grateful !

Back