Anti-Vibration: What glue could work here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRJR

Hi guys,

quick question: What glue works best to fix things like IEC connectors, XLR inputs etc. on an aluminum panel?

I was thinking about a hot glue gun, really don't like silicone...
Let me hear your ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
J

JRJR said:
quick question: What glue works best to fix things like IEC connectors, XLR inputs etc. on an aluminum panel?

Hi JRJR, I don't really know if I understood what you're trying to achieve.

IEC connectors and XLR connectors are normally installed in a panel by screws/nut or riveted.
Some IEC connectors are fixed by snapping some lateral tabs that fit and lock it once inserted into the panel hole.

I don't know how Glue can help here, maybe you can explain it better...

As Whoops says, you will need a secure mechanical attachment, such as nuts and bolts.  Those connectors get pulled hard, and glue alone is unlikely to be enough.

If vibration is shaking your nuts loose, you could use a threadlocker, such as Loctite.

If your connector is the snap-in type, and you’re sure it's secure, then yes, I don't see a problem with using hot glue to take up any remaining looseness.  It can be a bit messy though, and doesn't look very "pro".  I would be wondering whether the cut-outs are slightly too large.

I always use Rivets on my XLRs and IEC connectors.
No loose nuts in the future from vibration

index.php

Attachments

• F274.JPG
    F274.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 108
Perhaps you're thinking of thread locking glues?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/adhesives-sealants-tapes/adhesives-glues/thread-lock/

Thanks guys!

You got it right. I want to make sure vibration isn't going to be a future problem.
Loctite could work for the screws, thanks.

I just opened some gear and it seems as most companies use either hot glue or some yellow stuff I couldn't figure out yet.
I read about those glues to become conductive over time though (big issue with KRKs apparently).

I'll stick to hot glue!

Thanks again, cheers!

I use Clear Nail Varnish in all the screws and nuts.

EB-035_Nail_Varnish_76-2_530x@2x.jpg

But for an XLR and IEC connectors I never use screws I always use Rivets like I posted above.
No vibration

Latest posts

Back