PNP Transistor Gain Higher than NPN?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
anybody know w hy the PNP compliments always measure higher hfe than NPN?

we see this on a regular basis

using 500 ma I-c and 4 V-dc to test,  maybe we need to use a higher current?

thanks!

Attachments

• hfe.jpg
    hfe.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 15
I think this was true in germanium transistors for some physical reason that it was easier to make PNP transistors higher gain with less noise. No idea about silicon, though.

CJ said:
anybody know w hy the PNP compliments always measure higher hfe than NPN?
I am not sure why, but these are more than two sides of the same coin. If you turn a PN junction upside down it does not alternate but  becomes reverse biased. One is doped with excess holes, the other excess electrons (you can look up which if it matters.)
we see this on a regular basis
Yup.. I suspect when complements are set up they normalize for some other factor and the beta lands where it does.

Back in the 70s when I discovered some very low noise complementary devices, the PNPs were slightly lower noise and coincidentally higher beta (equivalent input current noise is influenced by current gain.)
using 500 ma I-c and 4 V-dc to test,  maybe we need to use a higher current?

thanks!
I suspect this just is the state of solid state... or in other words I do not know the answer to your question.

In the early days of solid state power amplifiers robust NPN power transistors were more available. Complementary power PNPs were made by cobbling together a darlington pair with small PNP driver in front of a larger power NPN. It worked after a fashion but there were compromises due to asymmetry (slower due to larger turn on/off delay requiring extra stability compensation.) 

JR

Hfe changes significantly with temperature an Ib-Ic in high power transistors, so the SOA limits are more relevant, IMO.

Attachments

• NPN_PNP.png
    NPN_PNP.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 10
> In the early days of solid state power amplifiers robust NPN power transistors were more available.

In the earlier, Germanium, days, only PNP was practical above a part-watt. I was recently reminded when I saw a stereo console plan with negative hot. Oddly, the preamp was PNP Silicon (which at that time cost a penny more than NPN-Si). But then the power amp was revealed as a all-Ge all-PNP with transformer drive.

Back