Why is 500 series signal flow bottom to top?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

Just something I've wondered about.  Typical console signal flow is top to bottom (input to fader).  But 500 series modules do the reverse,  input is bottom,  output is top.  Was there a technical reason they did this?

If you talkin' pin outs, yes that is a curious thing.  My guess it was a layout / parts placement in the beginning; I don't think anyone had in mind it catching on like it did.

Keep in mind this was just a module in the early API desks. It was never meant to be a standalone format. I am not really sure why but maybe it was patchbay style. Outputs over inputs.

If you're plugging things in sequentially, you want the bottom first.  Otherwise you're reaching under the thing you already did, that's now in the way.  We don't stack things top to bottom; you can't.  Similar logic. 

john12ax7 said:
Just something I've wondered about.  Typical console signal flow is top to bottom (input to fader).  But 500 series modules do the reverse,  input is bottom,  output is top.  Was there a technical reason they did this?
Consoles are organized by user access, faders are at bottom of strip to be easily reached by the user, while preamp gain trim, pad and polarity are typically set and forget so furthest away from operator. Conversely self contained modules are organized to facilitate their inputs and outputs.

Console modules attempt to weight these competing criteria.

JR

jsteiger said:
Keep in mind this was just a module in the early API desks. It was never meant to be a standalone format. I am not really sure why but maybe it was patchbay style. Outputs over inputs.

Patchbay style makes some sense.  But less sense in the context of a console module.  Is there something in the console backplane that would explain it? It would seem to necessitate signal crossing on the backplane.  Or perhaps the out feeds the back panel insert send.

EmRR said:
If you're plugging things in sequentially, you want the bottom first.  Otherwise you're reaching under the thing you already did, that's now in the way.  We don't stack things top to bottom; you can't.  Similar logic.

john12ax7 said:
Why stack with gravity when there are equipment racks? Which I tend to organize to top to bottom.

If you like your input cables in the way of your output cables as you wire up....it's still gravity based convenience as-is....

Latest posts

Back