Help to identify old capacitor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LevinGuitar

I guess is something like old paper in wax but can't find the maker by the logo. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit:
Murdock said:
The manufacturer of those .22uF paper caps is called "Hydra". They are still in business

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 56
Just put some new ones in there, there is like 0% chance those will not be leaky and I'm quite sure they are not being manufactured anymore

Unless you are into restauration work -- for looks only -- I'd refrain from installing these anywhere.

Caps are cheap these days and even the cheapest of them is probably better than those.

But chances are high they make for excellent firecrackers...  8)

LevinGuitar said:
I guess is something like old paper in wax but can't find the maker by the logo. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Maybe measure them? The banded end could indicate the outer wrap for some free self-shielding (connect banded end to lower impedance circuit node.

JR.

These appear to be NOS, so the OP may want to put them at use...?
Among guitar aficionados there is a myth about tone capacitors, particularly paper-in-oil, which are objectively very imperfect but seem to impart some kind of mojo. When you pay about $10+ for a 0.022 or 0.047 cap, you'd better believe it's better...

I don't know if I'll be able to use them or if they are still good, maybe I'll be able to measure them someday.
I ordered them with other wima caps because I was curious about what they are and who made them.

I have fun trying different caps in audio signal (microphones) just to know how do they "sound".

Thanks for all answers and advices!

abbey road d enfer said:
These appear to be NOS, so the OP may want to put them at use...?
Among guitar aficionados there is a myth about tone capacitors, particularly paper-in-oil, which are objectively very imperfect but seem to impart some kind of mojo. When you pay about $10+ for a 0.022 or 0.047 cap, you'd better believe it's better...

Wait... they pay 10$ for them? Next time I'll sell the ones I remove when recapping on eBay! I will be rich. They aren't NOS but  "Worn in"

"Tone capacitor" used for rolling off high frequencies to ground ? And at 500V ? Cool.

I have a 1960s Telefunken reel deck that urgently needs some work. It's full of tone capacitors and tone tubes  ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I apologise and hope you didn't pay an arm and a leg for them. Yes, you absolutely should measure them before even thinking about installing them.

Differences in "sound" might be down to farad value being off due to age.

Couldn't you ask the seller what make/maker they are?

Paid 5€ for them and the ERO MP 1uf. Also couldn't find a similar ERO capacitor anywhere.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 23
As for using the caps pictured in the original post, don’t bother, NOS or not. Those are paper wrapped electrolytics, not wax/paper in oil. They are almost certainly dried out, which spells the end for electrolytics. Old PIO or film are sometimes sought after by guitarists, but not old electros, particularly paper insulated ones. Don’t confuse the types. The paper insulation provides very little protection against the electrolyte drying out, and when you run across these either loose or in-circuit, they should be replaced as they are invariably bad.

Just because people sell these on eBay doesn’t mean they have any use. They almost surely don’t.

rackmonkey said:
As for using the caps pictured in the original post, don’t bother, NOS or not. Those are paper wrapped electrolytics, not wax/paper in oil.

????

0,22 is 0.22.  Surely film.  The other pic is 1/250, also film in that size. 

rackmonkey said:
As for using the caps pictured in the original post, don’t bother, NOS or not. Those are paper wrapped electrolytics, not wax/paper in oil. They are almost certainly dried out, which spells the end for electrolytics. Old PIO or film are sometimes sought after by guitarists, but not old electros, particularly paper insulated ones. Don’t confuse the types. The paper insulation provides very little protection against the electrolyte drying out, and when you run across these either loose or in-circuit, they should be replaced as they are invariably bad.

Just because people sell these on eBay doesn’t mean they have any use. They almost surely don’t.
I am repeating myself but a simple capacitance measurement will tell if they are unusable.

JR

I didn’t enlarge the pic. I saw 22uF. So you’re right.

I don’t recall seeing any US made films with this sort of uncoated paper wrapper. Was this common with European made types?

Surely film with that value then. Be suspicious if you come across similarly housed caps in values much above 1uF or so though.

EmRR said:
????

0,22 is 0.22.  Surely film.  The other pic is 1/250, also film in that size.

rackmonkey said:
I didn’t enlarge the pic. I saw 22uF. So you’re right.

I don’t recall seeing any US made films with this sort of uncoated paper wrapper. Was this common with European made types?

1930's RCA, there are a few others.  I haven't seen one of those RCA bad yet. 

13889149712_b7b8e75eec_c.jpg

They might measure correct  uF but still be DC Leaky, or am i wrong here?

Im not a big tube guy but isn't this caps used to Couple tube stages?

So if they are ok at 100V but starts to let through DC at 200V they are unusable for High voltage but could be used in some Guitar Filter i guess

Latest posts

Back