Best way to paint a headbasket?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

What's the best way to paint a headbasket if you want it a different colour? Air brushing or a thin light coat of spray paint? Do you have to remove the inner mesh first? It seems like leaving it would clog it with paint.

RuudNL said:
Why would you want to paint the headbasket?
(The "phreakz" will say that it alters the sound...)
I just like the idea of matching the headbasket and body. Though I'll probably just paint the body since that seems like it'll be the easiest.

I'm trying a DIY project where I'm putting an Oktava capsule in a Behringer B2 Pro (I'm aware it's transformerless, I might build a mic from scratch with Oktava capsules in the future, also they're newer B2 Pros). I thought it might be interesting to have the body and headbasket both be black.

The MK-220 was already dead, and frankly with everything going on in that mic I decided I'd rather just salvage the capsule than try any troubleshooting.

Seeker said:
I’ve done it with an airbrush and thinned out oil paint...
Did it clog the inner mesh at all? I wouldn't be doing anything crazy, basically just painting the mics black, or black headbaskets with a different coloured sleeve.

Back