cpsmusic

A "Gritty" EQ
« on: February 13, 2020, 11:16:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

Had a chance to watch one of the John Paterno mixing videos recently. In it, he runs a few tracks through a Chandler Little Devil EQ and it makes a noticeable difference, not only in terms of EQ, but also in terms of warmth, fullness and "grit".

Any idea where the "grit" is coming from in this unit? Could it be due to slightly overdriving germanium transistors? Or is it something else?

Sometime later this year I'm hoping to build a "colour EQ" and was thinking of using a REDD EQ with a germanium makeup stage (I'm not a designer so if that's not doable let me know!). Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

gyraf

Re: A "Gritty" EQ
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 02:46:03 AM »
..maybe cheap-iron-core transformer? That's more or less the essence of grit (i.e. Barkhausen distortion)..

/Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

cpsmusic

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:44:32 PM »
What about using a "transparent" (guitar) overdrive to add grit? Maybe something like this:

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017/01/hudson-electronics-broadcast.html

cpsmusic

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »
I came across this one recently:

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/colour/products/super-filter-hpf-lpf-colour

Looks good but requires a 500-series host module and then a 500-series rack.

The PCB looks pretty simple - anyone have any idea on the design of this?

pahstah

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:48:36 AM »
Hi Folks,

Had a chance to watch one of the John Paterno mixing videos recently. In it, he runs a few tracks through a Chandler Little Devil EQ and it makes a noticeable difference, not only in terms of EQ, but also in terms of warmth, fullness and "grit".

Any idea where the "grit" is coming from in this unit? Could it be due to slightly overdriving germanium transistors? Or is it something else?

Sometime later this year I'm hoping to build a "colour EQ" and was thinking of using a REDD EQ with a germanium makeup stage (I'm not a designer so if that's not doable let me know!). Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, I have a Chandler little devil eq, I've looked inside and it's basically a neve 1081 eq. it has carnhill line input transformer and a custom output transformer (really small) with is driven by neve's push pull output amplifier. its all discrete with I believe bc184c transistors

Paolo

cpsmusic

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 02:05:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. So no special distortion?

pahstah

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
I took a look inside the little devil again and what I see is: 9045 line input transformer, a neve input amplifier I believe a ba184, not sure, trident a-range line amp for frequencies, and neve ba440 for driving the output transformer.

Paolo

buildafriend

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 10:23:53 PM »
..maybe cheap-iron-core transformer? That's more or less the essence of grit (i.e. Barkhausen distortion)..

/Jakob E.

interesting.