A "Gritty" EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi Folks,

Had a chance to watch one of the John Paterno mixing videos recently. In it, he runs a few tracks through a Chandler Little Devil EQ and it makes a noticeable difference, not only in terms of EQ, but also in terms of warmth, fullness and "grit".

Any idea where the "grit" is coming from in this unit? Could it be due to slightly overdriving germanium transistors? Or is it something else?

Sometime later this year I'm hoping to build a "colour EQ" and was thinking of using a REDD EQ with a germanium makeup stage (I'm not a designer so if that's not doable let me know!). Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

cpsmusic said:
Hi Folks,

Had a chance to watch one of the John Paterno mixing videos recently. In it, he runs a few tracks through a Chandler Little Devil EQ and it makes a noticeable difference, not only in terms of EQ, but also in terms of warmth, fullness and "grit".

Any idea where the "grit" is coming from in this unit? Could it be due to slightly overdriving germanium transistors? Or is it something else?

Sometime later this year I'm hoping to build a "colour EQ" and was thinking of using a REDD EQ with a germanium makeup stage (I'm not a designer so if that's not doable let me know!). Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, I have a Chandler little devil eq, I've looked inside and it's basically a neve 1081 eq. it has carnhill line input transformer and a custom output transformer (really small) with is driven by neve's push pull output amplifier. its all discrete with I believe bc184c transistors

Paolo

I took a look inside the little devil again and what I see is: 9045 line input transformer, a neve input amplifier I believe a ba184, not sure, trident a-range line amp for frequencies, and neve ba440 for driving the output transformer.

Paolo

Latest posts

Back