v72 repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkytonk

I have two v72 modules with transformer problems. Have understood that these transformers are almost impossible to find, but can it be possible to replace them with other parts?
So I wonder if there are anybody with experience/ knowledge in v72 modules who can share some info about this?

Bjørn Georg

I believe that Sowter makes replacement transformer for these preamps.

So I would recommend to have look at their website.

Best regards

// John

Also it would be good to know which transformer is broken? Maybe it is possible to rewind them? There even is a V72 input transformer build sheet somewhere around here, also CJ had a bunch of information on the topic. If all this and the Sowther solution doesn't work I'd look into Lundahl and see if something fits...

Michael

johnheath said:
I believe that Sowter makes replacement transformer for these preamps.

So I would recommend to have look at their website.

Best regards

// John

Hi John
Thanks for replay!
I have been looking at the Sowter. Did you build a diy v72?
Regards
Bjorn

Michael Tibes said:
Also it would be good to know which transformer is broken? Maybe it is possible to rewind them? There even is a V72 input transformer build sheet somewhere around here, also CJ had a bunch of information on the topic. If all this and the Sowther solution doesn't work I'd look into Lundahl and see if something fits...

Michael

Hi Michael,
Thanks for replay. I have read CJ`s info, impressing stuff. I have sent him a message. I bought these v72`s years back, and it looks like "somebody" have switched the original transformers with some other transformers. I just found out when I now was planning to rack them up and use them.
Regards
Bjorn

If you'd like to post a photo of one of the units maybe we  can identify the transformers and the choke to see what you have at the moment.

honkytonk said:
Hi Michael,
Thanks for replay. I have read CJ`s info, impressing stuff. I have sent him a message. I bought these v72`s years back, and it looks like "somebody" have switched the original transformers with some other transformers. I just found out when I now was planning to rack them up and use them.
Regards
Bjorn

MatthisD said:
If you'd like to post a photo of one of the units maybe we  can identify the transformers and the choke to see what you have at the moment.

Thanks for replay. Yes, I would be grateful for any help about this. Ref. DIY I have no experience on this level.

This is a photo before removing any parts.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 73
MatthisD said:
I would agree.  What about the power transformer,  is it labelled CKV72/N?

I guess this is the power transformer, I find no label on it, maybe hidden under?

Attachments

• v72f.jpg
    v72f.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
honkytonk said:
I guess this is the power transformer, I find no label on it, maybe hidden under?

Maybe, although they could previously have been repaired or rewound without labels. The next obvious question I have is are these functioning preamps?

Hello Honkytonk,
This tread was brought to our attention...
To confirm from the pic's those are indeed not the original transformers, they appear rewound. Difficult to determine from a picture if the inductor or power transformer meet original specifications, the input transformer definitely does not.  To my knowledge Tab-Funkenwerk founded by Oliver Archut (RIP) is the only company that correctly rewinds and manufactures new V72, V76 input transformers and inductors etc...  (according to original specifications).
Following Oliver's lead TAB continues to provide these products and services (Inputs are very laborious and not cheap) you can email [email protected] for more info.

Disclaimer..... I work at TAB and am not trying to sell or promote our products, just offering information that there are proper solutions available.

-dennis

btw, there are more than a few V-series units working in Norway that use our rewound transformers....

MatthisD said:
Maybe, although they could previously have been repaired or rewound without labels. The next obvious question I have is are these functioning preamps?

No, they are not working preamps. I bought them some years ago for later racking. Though I got them for a "not working price", I was told they were all original. I was prepared for surprises and here they are ...-.).  However, the v72 preamp is a fantastic preamp when it works, so I would like to go ahead and see if I can make them work oneday.

Thanks to all of you who share info ref the v72. It is not easy to find detailed info about the v72,

Back