Neat Enclosure

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ian,
Had a little play with the updated design from last night, have a look and see what you think.
Theres a couple of small issues - mainly down to the profile of the rail ( shouldnt be too much of a problem as I can always machine to suit.) I found the TipTop Z-rail profile and modelled to suit. ( standard eurorack rail with square lip.)

I should be around later this evening to pick up any feedback, fingers crossed I'll update ASAP.

Best,
Steve

Kid Squid said:
Just having a quick think, what about maybe a small addition to the top for meters ?

mmm...

As it stands, the intention is for the 3U space to house up to three modules. Two will be mic pres and the third the summing mixer make up. The modules are 14HP wide (2.8 inches) so in a regular 84HP rail's width you can get 6 modules. The allows for the right hand half of the 3U section to be a panel holding meters and perhaps other bits and bobs. Perhaps in the successor version, the fairly well heeled man's mixer, we can have an additional meter bridge which allows up to 6 modules to be used.

The corners of a mixer are always fun! I see your point about fouling the two rails where you are trying to fit in the underside panel fixing. There is a similar problem with the top cover although this could possibly just be wood.

I think we will need to split the rear panel horizontally into two panels. An aluminium panel 225mm high support only at the top and bottom is going to flex when you plug in XLRs. We could possibly split it into a taller panel at the bottom for connectors and a grill at the top to let the heat out from the tubes.

I have not come across Tip Top rails before. Seems they are made in the USA but they seem rather expensive by they time they reach the UK. Most sites I found selling them wanted about £17 or more per rail including tapped strip and they do not seem to have any provision for fitting card guides.. SRS rails the same length with a tapped strip and punching for guide rails are only about £10. We will need card guides to ensure basic mechanical integrity. The other think is they use M3 tapped rails whereas my modules use the standard M2.5 captive screws.

Overall, it looks a lot better in 3D that it does side on!

Cheers

Ian

Back