micro soic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

got some ic's in to play around with, the ones that were soic-8 are small but  workable. The ones that have me baffled were the micro soic. that is tiny, like super tiny.  this will be interesting to work with. luckily I got some adaptors  to bring it out to a pdip package but  I still have to solder them  onto the adaptor pcb's. 

Do you mean MSOP or TSSOP?

The true evil ones in my opinion are QFN.  Pretty much need a hot air gun, a ton of flux, and some prayers to the deity of your choosing to get those right!

iampoor1 said:
Do you mean MSOP or TSSOP?

The true evil ones in my opinion are QFN.  Pretty much need a hot air gun, a ton of flux, and some prayers to the deity of your choosing to get those right!

well I got some IC's to test from mouser,  some of of them were the dual channel version of the opamp, some of them then single channel. The  duel channels are soic-8 the single channel version of the IC are msop even though mouser had them listed soic 8.  so we have small and then tiny. I'll take photos and post later.

There are also different versions of SOIC including narrow,  mini,  etc.  Unfortunately sometimes Mouser and Digikey omit this very important detail.

Hello

To me soic is 1.27, which in fact I can solder faster than TH DIP  (2.54) with big tip and one slide move per row  :)
Now I just check, micro soic is 0.5 ...this become very small  :-X

Best
Zam

john12ax7 said:
There are also different versions of SOIC including narrow,  mini,  etc.  Unfortunately sometimes Mouser and Digikey omit this very important detail.

mini/micro seem the same, 0.5 pitch
narrow is just different package size/ratio (not pitch size)

Best
Zam

Here is what I taking about.
On the right standard soic8  in an ammo reel package. This is the duel channel opamp. On the left is the micro soic  signal Channel opamp 😬 tiny bugger

edit on the top soic8 on the bottom micro soic :eek:

Attachments

• B483B2B8-1EC0-4BDB-AFB7-247911266B44.jpeg
    B483B2B8-1EC0-4BDB-AFB7-247911266B44.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 25
Years ago I had problem with narrow pitch (8 per) resistor arrays... common problems were lead bridges. They were not worth the trouble to me at the time. I stopped using smaller than 4 up resistor arrays (and I'm cheap).

JR

I am working out the best way to solder these, the soic I can handle but the smaller ones?  where do I begin. Since this is purely for photo typing,  I don't know where to begin on those. I may just chuck out the idea of the single channel and just do a duel channel only using one  of the opamps.  :-\

pucho812 said:
I am working out the best way to solder these, the soic I can handle but the smaller ones?  where do I begin. Since this is purely for photo typing,  I don't know where to begin on those. I may just chuck out the idea of the single channel and just do a duel channel only using one  of the opamps.  :-\
For onsey twosey, how about hot air?

With small packages the solder's surface tension can self align packages. After the fact solder wick can help clear lead bridges.

JR 

I've seen some good videos on youtube on drag soldering techniques for small packages.  Some people will DIY a toaster oven for reflow.

I may also be able to get you access to an actual reflow oven in the LA area.

john12ax7 said:
I've seen some good videos on youtube on drag soldering techniques for small packages.  Some people will DIY a toaster oven for reflow.

I may also be able to get you access to an actual reflow oven in the LA area.

well if we mass scale and such then yes of course but for prototyping should be able to at least cobble it together

drag soldering :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFCDh9BxQU

Back