COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnRoberts said:
The last year I could find data for (2018) 2.8M people died in the US....

Death is all around us, but only a tiny handful become newsworthy (mostly to scare us with "this could be you" inferences). Of course when you get older this really could be you.

We put different priorities on these things, though. 

For instance, only 3000 or so people died from the 9/11 attacks.  "Just a drop in the bucket", one might say, but the reaction was massive.

Scodiddly said:
We put different priorities on these things, though. 

For instance, only 3000 or so people died from the 9/11 attacks.  "Just a drop in the bucket", one might say, but the reaction was massive.
Then there's the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria that one death started WW1...

But indeed we ignore most deaths unless media convinces us that we could be next...

The hyperbolic news reports of every new numerical milestone hit, ignores that is how arithmetic progressions increase (accumulation totals don't go down...duh), but if they can scare the unwashed into washing their hands,  wearing masks, and social distancing, they might save a few lives.

JR

Any thoughtful discussions about masks (not the political angles)?

Apparently aerosols or nano-aerosols(?) at 100 nm laugh at 300nm particulate masks. Reportedly electrostatic-ally charged synthetic fiber masks have more success.

Masks are better than nothing... Two masks are more than twice as good as one mask.

I am still waiting for far UVc to be commercialized. https://www.health24.com/Medical/Infectious-diseases/Coronavirus/far-uvc-light-can-kill-999-of-airborne-coronaviruses-in-25-minutes-a-study-shows-20200704-5

JR

I was eating with my wife a few days ago and she sneezed. She pulled her shirt up over her mouth. I swear my arm got wet. I haven't tested further yet but have been meaning to......

The masks are better than nothing I'd guess. I think the usefulness of them (not counting the good ones) in regard to virus spread is still a gray area though imo.... Lambskin condoms will keep you from getting pregnant....  Not effective from any std... Are there std vaccines?

Seeing the hazmat gear being donned by the chosen ones makes me question a little bit...but whatever....

I wish they would push the importance of hygiene as much as masks...Don't seem to hear about it.... Making sanitizer mandatory or something like that..... That would be a great combo.... Create a bunch of jobs for that guy in the bathroom..."No soap , no hope"

The good news is we don't really have to abide by any of the mitigation measures any more, since 99% of covid cases are harmless, and 1% of the US population is only 3,310,000 sick folks.

crazydoc said:
The good news is we don't really have to abide by any of the mitigation measures any more, since 99% of covid cases are harmless, and 1% of the US population is only 3,310,000 sick folks.
Is this in the correct thread? 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Is this in the correct thread? 

JR
Absolutely. This is not political, it is factual information about Covid-19 given by the President of the United States to allay the fears of the citizens he is charged with protecting. In other words, in this war, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!"

But feel free to move it.  ::)

crazydoc said:
Absolutely. This is not political, it is factual information about Covid-19 given by the President of the United States to allay the fears of the citizens he is charged with protecting. In other words, in this war, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!"

But feel free to move it.  ::)
Nah...

But feel free to keep in the correct lane... Why does every single thing become politicized?
=====
I gather you have no thoughts about mask efficacy?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I gather you have no thoughts about mask efficacy?

JR
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-why

The protection that masks offer is somewhat unclear. They might offer some protection to the wearer, and more protection to those around the wearer if he is shedding virus in respiratory droplets.  Aerosols are much smaller and some get through, but I'd imagine there's a huge decrease in viral dose coming from someone wearing a facial cover as opposed to someone not wearing one, and I'd think that the infectious viral dose is somewhat correlated with the incidence and severity of disease, though apparently that's an open question.

So since a mask does offer some protection to the wearer, I'd guess that the unmasked morons walking around in public places are statistically more likely to have the disease, and therefore more likely to spread it also. If they were smart enough to realize this and made their own decision to wear masks, they wouldn't have to think the government was restricting their "freedom" by telling them to wear one.

Then again, there are lots of people that just don't give a sh!t about anyone else.

crazydoc said:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-why

The protection that masks offer is somewhat unclear. They might offer some protection to the wearer, and more protection to those around the wearer if he is shedding virus in respiratory droplets.  Aerosols are much smaller and some get through, but I'd imagine there's a huge decrease in viral dose coming from someone wearing a facial cover as opposed to someone not wearing one, and I'd think that the infectious viral dose is somewhat correlated with the incidence and severity of disease, though apparently that's an open question.

So since a mask does offer some protection to the wearer, I'd guess that the unmasked morons walking around in public places are statistically more likely to have the disease, and therefore more likely to spread it also. If they were smart enough to realize this and made their own decision to wear masks, they wouldn't have to think the government was restricting their "freedom" by telling them to wear one.
I can't read the minds of that many but surely a combination of cabin fever, and zero fear of dying factors in, not to mention pursuit of the opposite sex.
Then again, there are lots of people that just don't give a sh!t about anyone else.
Most people do not put other people's safety high on their list.

Safety is only #4 on Maslow's list.

JR

Japanese company SoftBank conducted infection testing among employees. They found customer service counters to be surprisingly 'safe' - provided masks are worn and room has out of window  draft.

Call centres were found to be true incubators despite people wearing masks. A lot of talking in an enclosed space with probably bad ventilation.

For ventilation, two opened windows on opposite ends of a room are best  Extractor hoods are good too. Air conditioners are not good cos they tend to make air only circulate (spreading aerosols easier). And so do fans.

Examples of enclosed spaces with bad ventilation and higher observed instances of infection
- meat-processing factories
- air-conditioned restaurants, cafes and bars
- gyms
(- hospitals)
- schools (in Japan they all open all windows now)

Sounds logical...

Call centers use mics and headphones. They probably didn't disinfect these, especially in the beginning.

Still, door knobs and water taps are also being underrated, I suspect.

Script said:
- sanitizer efficacy
- open windows for draft efficacy

This had been aired on TV here. They used supercomputers for simulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBvFkQizTT4

Yes, I am not familiar with the terminology "micro droplets" but have heard them described as nano aerosols and too small to be caught by particulate masks... Some benefit from electrostatically charged fiber masks.

Thinking about this for recirculating air for closed systems like office building or air planes. These are hard to filter out... In an office space you can just completely exchange the air but this is not energy efficient unless you incorporate heat/cooling exchangers. Likewise aircraft would need energy to heat air from outside the cabin.

Air recirculation with strong UVc could help... Human safe far UVc would be even better but not cost effective yet.

JR

PS: I heard a mention that people with blood type O are less susceptible to catching COVID?

Call centers use mics and headphones. They probably didn't disinfect these, especially in the beginning.

Still, door knobs and water taps are also being underrated, I suspect.
In Japan ? Pretty sure they did for quite a while now. Shops started cleaning high-contact areas with alcohol once per hour back in March, April the latest.

All public hand dryers (public toilets, highway service areas etc) had all been turned off as early as late February / early March. In addition to hand sanitizers standing around for everyone to please use .

Public toilet washbasin tabs in Japanese big cities more often than not have been non-touch for long already.

Some Japanese company is working on a non-touch touchscreen right now for use in public spaces. People
here have always been very particular when it comes to touching things (while touching people is no-go anyway).

Air-conditioners. Yeah there was an article about how to set and run them most efficiently with all windows open in hot and humid summer.  Efficient that is not, but as an article sure geek it was.

JohnRoberts said:
PS: I heard a mention that people with blood type O are less susceptible to catching COVID?
...in this cohort, a blood-group–specific analysis showed a higher risk in blood group A than in other blood groups (odds ratio, 1.45; 95% CI, 1.20 to 1.75; P=1.48×10−4) and a protective effect in blood group O as compared with other blood groups (odds ratio, 0.65; 95% CI, 0.53 to 0.79; P=1.06×10−5).
Conclusions:
We identified a 3p21.31 gene cluster as a genetic susceptibility locus in patients with Covid-19 with respiratory failure and confirmed a potential involvement of the ABO blood-group system.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2020283?query=featured_coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back