COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And maybe another piece of the puzzle, relating to patient assessment, diagnosis and treatment.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/hidden-immune-weakness-found-14-gravely-ill-covid-19-patients

It's about the role (and lack) of interferons in some patients, as well as 'rogue' or damaging antibodies -- thus detrimental autoimmune response. More research is being done and if pertinent, both conditions can be medically treated,  they insinuate, with readily available artificial interferons and other.

That'd mean becoming able to help up to 14 percent of critically ill patients worldwide. Quite something.
___
Posting this cos I must confess I am fascinated by the speed and scope of interaction and collaboration among researchers and medical doctors on the one hand, and their perseverance on the other as it was clear from the start that tackling this one is looking at many,  ever so tiny steps.

Of course, not only in research, there are always also ethical concerncs, alongside the question of relevance.

It appears POTUS and the First Lady have tested positive for COVID (apparently top aide Hope Hicks tested positive a few days ago).

This will be a pretty high profile case, I wish them all well.

JR

Meanwhile, Covid19-related deaths reported worldwide just surpassed 1M... ...

Here in the UK, a Scottish MP travelled all the way to Parliament despite having symptoms. She tested positive then drove all the way back to Scotland. They are now desperately trying to find out how many MPs she infected. I am not surprised. Most politicians are one brick short of a hod.

Edit: Apparently she did not drive she went by train which is a lot worse.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Most politicians are one brick short of a hod.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/politics/live-news/trump-coronavirus-positive/index.html

I can't wait to see Trump make fun of VP Biden for wearing a mask again.

iturnknobs said:
I can't wait to see Trump make fun of VP Biden for wearing a mask again.
Take your pleasure where you can find it...
=======

It will be interesting to see if his energy level declines. He is older than me, and I couldn't keep up with his schedule.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I don't think karma comments and "he asked for it" can be faulted in this case. He is reckless and literally endangers the lives of everyone around him and of everyone that goes to his rallies with his behavior and ill advice. And now he and everyone in this latest WH outbreak are paying for it. It's poetic and Shakespearean. Chances are that they'll be fine but it sounds like a bunch of people got it so not everyone may be ok. That's how chance works. If anyone traced to this WH outbreak is permanently harmed from COVID-19, it will be squarely his fault.

JohnRoberts said:
=======
Observing self-inflicted irony is not pleasure. It's not really irony when self-inflicted, but some don't want to see it for what it actually is. I'm going for a covid test today after being incapacitated with fever for the past 2 days. I need to go the grocery store and will not until I know if I am negative. If only others would do the same. I wear a mask in public settings. I do not eat out. I practice social distancing. Trump outwardly ridiculed Biden for wearing a mask 2 nights ago. Trump getting through this with only minor symptoms will be the WORST thing in the history of this virus. It will empower his base to be outwardly belligerent(beyond the levels that exist currently)concerning this issue. It will create a larger divide within our country(that half refuse to listen to science and some of that subset are Q-anon nuts). Prepare for an exponential increase in stupidity if Trump shakes this off with no issues. Regardless of my wishes or not, most know what I am saying "holds some water".

gyraf said:
aah, would he lie about catching that..?
Ha! No. I don't doubt that he would if he thought it would help him somehow. But I'm not sure it would and I don't think they would be able to perpetuate that level of deception.

The really diabolical outcome would be if he gave it to Biden and Biden died and he survived.

iturnknobs said:
I'm going for a covid test today after being incapacitated with fever for the past 2 days. I need to go the grocery store and will not until I know if I am negative.

Makes sense...

iturnknobs said:
I wear a mask in public settings. I do not eat out. I practice social distancing.

Possibly just picked up something else some other way....

iturnknobs said:
Trump getting through this with only minor symptoms will be the WORST thing in the history of this virus.

Confused. There are plenty that have already fallen into this scenario from the data. Not sure anything will change either way in regards to how people choose to translate the data or science.  His age and health definitely puts him in the higher risk though so, hopefully he'll pull through... as well as you with whatever it is ...

JohnRoberts said:
He is older than me, and I couldn't keep up with his schedule.

You mean beginning your work day at 11 am, playing lot's (and lot's and lot's and...) of Golf and staying up late tweeting? Getting short briefings with mostly pictures of yourself? Having a staff around that caters to your every whim? 60% of your working day being executive time?  :p

https://www.businessinsider.com/president-donald-trump-daily-routine-2018-10?r=DE&IR=T

For something remotely on topic, I read about Croatia driving their new covid infections down to zero and reopening for tourism, important for their economy. Of course we know what happened, or this would not be news... The tourists did not properly social distance and wear masks, they also brought back covid.

===

Airlines desperate to restart international travel are starting to market airport covid testing so the travelers can prove that they are covid free before getting on the plane and don't have to quarantine for weeks of their visit.

====

@ Iturnknobs... I hope you test negative, I don't know your age group but I'm up in the one with mid single digit mortality.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
@ Iturnknobs... I hope you test negative, I don't know your age group but I'm up in the one with mid single digit mortality.

JR
Thanks for the well wishes, JR. I am 47. I'm sure I'll be fine. I just don't want to give it to anyone else(still unsure of anything). It was 150$+ for "rapid" testing. I would assume the pharmacy chains have acceptably fast results, but there are no openings. By luck, I have found a "pop-up" testing facility 20 miles away(I live in the Chicago suburbs). Results in 4-7 days. We'll see if I get in 2 hours before they close. I could just quarantine for 10 days total(this is day 3 for me) and be done with it, never knowing. That wouldn't help the science any.

JohnRoberts said:
===

Airlines desperate to restart international travel are starting to market airport covid testing

One interesting thing is that certain masks with vents aren't allowed on the airlines.....
Like pretty much all of these.... makes sense but  I guess you could put a shirt over one.... It's pretty tough to breath in them as is so idk...

https://wonderfulengineering.com/10-best-n95-respirator-masks-for-coronavirus/

scott2000 said:
One interesting thing is that certain masks with vents aren't allowed on the airlines.....
Like pretty much all of these.... makes sense but  I guess you could put a shirt over one.... It's pretty tough to breath in them as is so idk...

https://wonderfulengineering.com/10-best-n95-respirator-masks-for-coronavirus/
Yes I've heard the criticism that the exhaust valve allows you to infect others. One strategy is to wear a spit mask over the n95 with valve. In my experience that is not noticeably harder to breath in than the normal n95. I can't imagine wearing a n95 8-10 hours a day.

JR

PS: Here's my free mask invention... incorporate temp sensing liquid crystal into the mask, so the mask will indicate if the wearer has a fever. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back