COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, indeed. Google translate is good but not perfect. The  first one is 'fatigue' with 97%.

crazydoc said:
Rather than focus on and argue about death counts and etiologies, it's now time to embrace the coming phase of the response to the pandemic - it's called triage. Very shortly the American medical system is going to be overwhelmed in many places due in large part to the irresponsible actions of a significant portion of the population.
http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhs/1100458_Directive_6revTransportofTraumaticandNontraumaticCardiacArrest.pdf

If you can't resuscitate them in the field, they are dead.

Similar worries have been expressed here in Ireland as the systems become overwhelmed .The impact of having to prioritise who does and doesnt get treated really complicates life for people on the frontline , Its more like battlefield medicine . Having said that poor people with no health cover in the US ,I guess have always stood the chance the ambulance would simply look and drive by .

So here to a large extent the older generation are going by the book , sticking by the rules fastidiously .Same unfortunately cant be said of teens , its a natural effect of the exuberance of youth and the of feeling of invicibillity that goes along with it . Schools were kept going in the interests of child welfare and to allow parents to get out (or stay home) to work . Has this approach led to a more transmisable variant were starting to see , kids naturally get covered in all kinds of crap while playing out of doors , could that mean there capable of mounting a better immune response , which might explain why they could be carriers while being less infectious, ie lower viral load , counter balanced by the fact they are bucking , to some extent, the social distancing advice .

Is it pure co-incidence two of the three countries who trialed the Oxford/Astra vax are top of the heap of the new variant out break ?
(overzealous comment removed, my humble apollogies)

My other  brother in law in Atlanta just had a bout with Covid. Guess it was pretty serious. He's one of 2 brothers in law I have in Atlanta that live together in the same home along with the other brother's family including their Grandma.

Pretty sure the entire family already had it apart from him over the summer so it'll be interesting to hear more and if anyone else gets it again...

I just heard from my wife so not sure of all the details yet...

Some news...

Immunity after infection seems to last six to eight months. I guess vaccination will be a recurring event?

Long lasting after effects of the disease include brain damage, possibly leading to Alzheimer's, depression, or other neurological diseases:

https://news.uthscsa.edu/journal-article-reviews-century-of-data-showing-covid-19-likely-to-impact-the-brain/

The study will collect information over the next two to three years. Initial results are expected in early 2022 for the first set of evaluations.

scott2000 said:
Is there a link to this?
Here's one that's not paywalled:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-01/ljif-pia010621.php

Here's another about the duration of vaccine immunity, but from pharma industry so take with a grain of salt:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-last-years-moderna-ceo/

Thanks. I was hoping to see one that says immunity lasts up to 8 months. The first article seems to infer that the subjects were studied up to 8 months and things looked pretty good?

"The findings, published in the January 6, 2021, online edition of Science, could mean that COVID-19 survivors have protective immunity against serious disease from the SARS-CoV-2 virus for months, perhaps years after infection"

"The different parts of the adaptive immune system work together, so seeing COVID-fighting antibodies, memory B cells, memory CD4+ T cells and memory CD8+ T cells in the blood more than eight months following infection is a good sign."

"This implies that there's a good chance people would have protective immunity, at least against serious disease, for that period of time, and probably well beyond that," says Crotty.

Study called ""Immunological memory to SARS-CoV-2 assessed for up to eight months after infection,"
Unless I'm not reading it right.

Of course apart people with compromised or declining immune systems being questionable..

So yesterday Georgia hit 10,000 confirmed cases in one day.  The AJC reports that the medical system is on the brink of overload--not California yet, but on that trajectory.  Cases have skyrocketed in recent days.  Not good.

Be safe...

It's disturbing that ,although many numbers of older people are affected, the younger people make up enough to be concerned with more than just being spreaders. Looking at the data, it's clear to see that disturbing increases in deaths and such aren't out of the norm for younger people. It seems that once you're in your 20's it can get pretty hairy. The racial disparities are shocking too.

Pretty good data in this set....

You can see the percentage increases and declines in one column....

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/AH-Excess-Deaths-by-Sex-Age-and-Race/m74n-4hbs

I hope that the bump from bad behavior over the now ended holiday season will come and go relatively quickly. 

The different state's management of jabbing arms seems pretty variable. FL seems to be doing well, NY not as good, but they seem to both be under the microscope.

I remain optimistic, that we need to remain diligent for the next several few months and it isn't the end of time like the nightly news wants us to believe.

Wash your hands, wear your mask in public, and social distance.... This too will end.

JR

PS: Regarding duration of immunity there is not one single number but the different vaccines report different characteristics, and natural immunity may even depend on severity of the infection. In other words YMMV. 

updated a bit with some numbers...

It's pretty incredible the percent increases in all cause deaths from previous years among the younger.. I did this quick chart to show what it looks like from a percentage... just picked summer from end of May to August....and compared to a couple of older groups...

What are we talking...100s. 1000s of young adults??

ok just checked....

15-19 year olds...
450 deaths above average over the summer.... 181 Hispanic - 204 Black-61 White - -2 Asian---others

20-24 year olds
945  deaths above average over summer... 216 Hispanic - 552 Black - 78 White - 8 Asian----others

25-29 year olds
1617 deaths above average over summer.... 442 Hispanic - 645 Black - 390 White - 18 Asian.....others

.this is all cause so not necessarily covid but still...what the heck? Summer Break? Suicides...Why the racial disparity? Something isn't right.... How come we didn't hear about the younger dying ? Like 1000 kids/young adults a month above average over summer

:-\

all had been dying  in percentages above average before summer as well.....just not as much

Attachments

• AGE PERCENT SUMMER.jpg
    AGE PERCENT SUMMER.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 0
The higher percentage young people dying was reported about six months ago, at least IIRC...

What's the use of the racially split numbers if you don't know what percentage of the population is that race. I mean, the virus itself isn't racial, is it?

What's the use of the racially split numbers if you don't know what percentage of the population is that race. I mean, the virus itself isn't racial, is it?

Not sure I understand. Those are USA numbers I posted?.

There have been studies on racial disparities and viruses before. Maybe socioeconomic? Confusing here when hospitalizations are mentioned because, if everyone is in the hospital being counted, these people must have access to it...

Like H1N1 for an example

GraphA_race_ethnicity.gif

Attachments

• usrace.jpg
    usrace.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
The new strain of the virus seems to be running riot here in the UK. Hospitalisations and deaths are greater now than at the peak back in April. Police are beginning to really crack down on people who do not stay at home unless absolutely necessary. Two women were fined £200 each for visiting a park five miles from where they lived.

Cheers

ian

scott2000 said:
Not sure I understand. Those are USA numbers I posted?.

There have been studies on racial disparities and viruses before. Maybe socioeconomic? Confusing here when hospitalizations are mentioned because, if everyone is in the hospital being counted, these people must have access to it...

If you don't know what the different races represent in the group, how are absolute death numbers gonna get interpreted?

I mean, if the population is 90% caucasian and 10% asian, the death numbers should be relative to those percentages, don't you think?

I may not be explaining it too thoroughly, sorry.

Looking for socio-economic explanations should start with that ratio, followed by population density. The less people, the less chance of infection.

cyrano said:
If you don't know what the different races represent in the group, how are absolute death numbers gonna get interpreted?

I mean, if the population is 90% caucasian and 10% asian, the death numbers should be relative to those percentages, don't you think?

So I should do the percentage increase for blacks,whites,etc... instead of total increases in percentages among all races?

I'm sure the percentage would look similar? The number of deaths I posted were those that were above average. Not total ..

But I'm sure I'm misunderstanding...Sorry...

All I know is that there is a pretty disturbing increase in deaths among younger people and I've only heard of a handful when they make headlines.....

I have seen similar results here in the UK. Generally non-Caucasians tend to have higher death rates from Covid irrespective of their economic status. I do not think anyone has yet put a finger on a root cause of it. Here is the latest from the Office for National Statistics:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/updatingethniccontrastsindeathsinvolvingthecoronaviruscovid19englandandwales/deathsoccurring2marchto28july2020

I am surprised the statisticians have not included blood group in their assessment. African peoples are well known have a high incidence of blood group B negative so there might be a correclation there.

More details on this here:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/most-common-blood-type-by-race#blood-type-definition

Cheers

ian

There seems to be no central repository of data yet. But I hear it's in the pipeline.

I have seen stats about blood type and deficiencies, but only on a relatively small and local scale. In France, fi, stats showed a higher mortality for patients with vitamin D or Iron deficiency. Also blood type O seems to have a significantly mortality rate.

Smokers also seem to die less frequently. Nicotine seems to kill the virus. It's being researched as we speak.

Drug Actemra (sarilumab) against rheumatoid arthritis might help critically ill patients.

Study published by Imperial College London. Not peer-reviewed yet but drug tested and now suggested.

They say it reduced ICU times by up to 10 days and saved one in 12 lives. This drug reduces cykotine storm.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20210111/k10012807741000.html
(Article in Japanese. Can use Google translate)

If really effective, this would be some dearly needed good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back