rob_gould

DIY arm / wrist rest - advice and tips?
« on: February 23, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »

Hi All,

I'm thinking about incorporating a wrist rest into my next synthesiser case, and I was wondering whether any of the people on this board who've built a mixer have incoroporated such a thing?

I'm thinking about simple questions like...

...the material used for the padding?  I'm thinking cushion foam is a good place to start...

...whether you opted for a leather covering or a synthetivc material?

... how the covering material was attached to the board underneath?  Staples?  Glue?

Cheers!

JohnRoberts

Re: DIY arm / wrist rest - advice and tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »
At Peavey I had the luxury of having people to design that stuff for me.

As I recall you start with a wood base with the rough profile then you want, then stretch naugahyde (or whatever) over some loose passing/filler, then staple to the wood. The staples are on the back side and concealed when mounted to the case/mixer.

or not...

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

scott2000

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:49 AM »
Probably get some good ideas from auto or furniture re/upholstery videos.....

john12ax7

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:43:34 AM »
I added one onto a desk. Needed 1.25" height to match a control surface. First screwed a 1x4 pine board (0.75" x 3.5") to the desk. Then 0.50" of dacron batting. Then stapled synthetic material on top. The staples went into the desk but you don't see them when gear gets loaded on top.

Overall I was happy with it for a first go round, gives some comfort and a nice visual. Things to improve: It's good to add a radius to the wood corner.  Also the batting is nice and soft, but I think something a little firmer would be better.

rob_gould

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 06:45:42 AM »
Thanks all!

Dacron batting and naugahyde are both new terms for me, so that's a good push in the right direction.

Cheers!

john12ax7

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
Here's a pic of the end result. Dacron batting is common in furniture cushions, usually as a top layer over foam. But as mentioned maybe a little too soft on it's own. I've also seen neoprene type foam which seemed to be a good balance of the right amount of soft and firm, so that might be something else to look into.

Whoops

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 01:12:58 AM »
Foam and then Dacron  on top

(normally glues together)