DIY arm / wrist rest - advice and tips?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_gould

Hi All,

I'm thinking about incorporating a wrist rest into my next synthesiser case, and I was wondering whether any of the people on this board who've built a mixer have incoroporated such a thing?

I'm thinking about simple questions like...

...the material used for the padding?  I'm thinking cushion foam is a good place to start...

...whether you opted for a leather covering or a synthetivc material?

... how the covering material was attached to the board underneath?  Staples?  Glue?

Cheers!

At Peavey I had the luxury of having people to design that stuff for me.

As I recall you start with a wood base with the rough profile then you want, then stretch naugahyde (or whatever) over some loose passing/filler, then staple to the wood. The staples are on the back side and concealed when mounted to the case/mixer.

or not...

JR

I added one onto a desk. Needed 1.25" height to match a control surface. First screwed a 1x4 pine board (0.75" x 3.5") to the desk. Then 0.50" of dacron batting. Then stapled synthetic material on top. The staples went into the desk but you don't see them when gear gets loaded on top.

Overall I was happy with it for a first go round, gives some comfort and a nice visual. Things to improve: It's good to add a radius to the wood corner.  Also the batting is nice and soft, but I think something a little firmer would be better.

Thanks all!

Dacron batting and naugahyde are both new terms for me, so that's a good push in the right direction.

Cheers!

Here's a pic of the end result. Dacron batting is common in furniture cushions, usually as a top layer over foam. But as mentioned maybe a little too soft on it's own. I've also seen neoprene type foam which seemed to be a good balance of the right amount of soft and firm, so that might be something else to look into.

Attachments

• armrest.jpg
    armrest.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 39
Back