twice in less the a week

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
Never happens here. We don't park upstairs.

with the one from the 6th story there is suspicion of drugs or alcohol but can't be tested as they rushed him to the hospital and gave him drugs as part of taking care of the driver.

PRR said:
Never happens here. We don't park upstairs.
none in Hickory either....  They built one of those car-park-scrapers in the big city (Meridian) last century but last I heard it was abandoned... I'm too lazy to search it to find out how it ended up...

JR

Suicide?
I think suicides off  parking structures are common. Not reported in the news much to avoid contagion. (suicide is contagious).

Someone told me about this recently, they happened to walk by a parking structure downtown when the police/EMT were there responding to a death and no mention in the news.

dmp said:
Suicide?
I think suicides off  parking structures are common. Not reported in the news much to avoid contagion. (suicide is contagious).
Not exactly contagious, and not only suicide but I saw one old statistic in a book that linked something like 50+ suicides to each front page suicide story. The mechanism is described as "social proof" where the high profile example justifies others already inclined that way to follow suit.  A little bizarre, the copy cats reportedly did not only kill themselves but some were pilots or drivers and took other innocent lives with them.

a) modern social media probably makes this worse
c) suicide is not the only behavior that people look for external justification.
Someone told me about this recently, they happened to walk by a parking structure downtown when the police/EMT were there responding to a death and no mention in the news.
I think I perceive less examples of violent street confrontations in the news, but this is subjective and may not be reality.  I really hope media is trying to be more responsible but I don't feel lucky.

JR

PS: recently I have read, or am still reading multiple books on the subject of influence, and human decision making. Now I see overt persuasion strategies behind every door. I guess this (marketing/advertising) should not be surprising, and some are better at it than others. Still a little unsettling, and hard to ignore after you learn all the different levers they have to influence us with.

JohnRoberts said:
PS: recently I have read, or am still reading multiple books on the subject of influence, and human decision making. Now I see overt persuasion strategies behind every door. I guess this (marketing/advertising) should not be surprising, and some are better at it than others. Still a little unsettling, and hard to ignore after you learn all the different levers they have to influence us with.

Yup, I've read some books over the past few years that are really eye opening (interesting and disturbing)
"Influence" by Cialdini talks about social proof specifically (and relating to suicide if I recall correctly).
As to the persuasion strategies and advertising, they figured it out a long time ago. I read a book call "Alchemy" by Sutherland from last year that talked about marketing and product successes that were seemingly irrational, until you dig into the psychology. Also a book on negotiation that really flipped things over for me - tactical empathy, mirroring, all these 'tactics' to influence others.  The behavioral psychology of Kahneman/Tvorsky/Thaler is pretty applicable too.
I'm pretty interested in this if you've read any good books on it.

dmp said:
Yup, I've read some books over the past few years that are really eye opening (interesting and disturbing)
"Influence" by Cialdini talks about social proof specifically (and relating to suicide if I recall correctly).
As to the persuasion strategies and advertising, they figured it out a long time ago. I read a book call "Alchemy" by Sutherland from last year that talked about marketing and product successes that were seemingly irrational, until you dig into the psychology. Also a book on negotiation that really flipped things over for me - tactical empathy, mirroring, all these 'tactics' to influence others.  The behavioral psychology of Kahneman/Tvorsky/Thaler is pretty applicable too.
I'm pretty interested in this if you've read any good books on it.
I'm reading Kahneman right now (Thinking fast and slow). I read Cialdini recently (Influence). I have been more than a casual student of advertising and marketing for decades, but still learning (still selling).

I see ocassional major mass marketing campaigns that look wildly unconvincing (to me).. One fast food merchant has an ad showing time lapse photography of their food rotting, to prove it is natural lacking preservatives.  Not very appealing looking to me.  :eek:

https://time.com/5786464/burger-king-whopper/

JR

I guess its one thing to read these kinds of books to break down the poisonous  psychology for our own benefit and for better decision making , trouble is all the same tricks are being thought in colleges and business schools so the the unwitting can be duped and parted from their cash more effectively.

One former friend of mine from years back  once spewed on about the book 'How to win friends and influence people' ,one of those kinds of people who burned everyone along the way as he went ,he really didnt turn out to be a decent friend to anyone and the stupid book didn't help him either, he was already a manipulative and deceitful  twat to begin with ;D

I guess its not easy to prove causal links between what people see on the headlines and suicide, but there has been cases of clusters of suicides within social groups ,particularly young men , again like was mentioned ,sometimes for what ever reason press keeps a lid on it , and government facts and figure agencies wont take into account or even want to find the truth of the matter. There's been a handful of close friends of mine who off'd themselves , some went swiftly others took a more round about route(Drink or Dope) , and of course the odd few who crashed down to rock bottom ,accepted the help they needed and rebuilt their lives .  Theres certainly a strong link between having suffered physical ,emotional or sexual abuse in childhood and an coming to an untimely end , a subject or discussion matter a lot of people feel very  ill at ease with allowing up to the surface.

Whopper with a fur coat anybody ? I think someone running for a train from Liverpool St station once half stuffed down a hairy burger without checking it , it had stood on the warm rack for days before hand , 
I think they got about a few grand for their trouble and probably made better food choices in future.

I think I perceive less examples of violent street confrontations in the news, but this is subjective and may not be reality. 

This reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was working the night shift because of it being a commercial property. I went to get ready to leave and there was some guy all blacked out, hoodie, with 2 big duffel bags and he was scaling a 7 ft concrete wall in the parking lot where I was at...This was  3am ...the sidewalk was like 20  feet away....

Anyway when I left, about a half mile up the road there were police everywhere at this one gas station, and I saw the fire trucks coming up the road.... I am not a big fan of getting involved in stuff sometimes because, it has backfired on me before. And the guy stared right at me and my truck...maybe got my plate.....??..maybe had nothing to do with this scene at all......

So I went home and looked at the police dispatch reports just in case I had to call in anything down the road. Sure enough I saw the Fire and police calls.... I forget the name of the police call but it was something like unknown trouble, which was ,from my understanding reading some ,usually really bad...

Weird thing was that, maybe 45min later, the police call disappeared from the logs and the fire department call stayed.... Not sure what that was.... but this was my first time looking so may be common...

I know they are trying to improve the image of the area I was in and new businesses are starting to build up so I got to wondering if this had anything to do with it....

Surely I'm overthinking it but it does look nicer when you search for crime statistics if their aren't any as many....

jeez...have you ever looked at the actual police calls??? Crazy

Latest posts

Back