DIY API 1604 inspired mixer (16x8x2)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the weeds... 8)

a1K0CqX.jpg

Direct out runs (pre-cleanup):
dJ4y82B.jpg

messy (but useful) wire wrapping:
mFXNbvA.jpg

It is just old school wiring.  Not messy.  I'm dismantling my studio and looking at the wire work done point to point circa 1975.  Lots of spaghetti when its all done.  Wire tie or wrap is the only way to keep the bundles secured to the frame and stay put in place.

It is just old school wiring. Not messy.
Thank you for saying so. If perfection was paramount (ought to be) I'd of made jigs like PRR? posted few months back...
old school tie bars are still the best
Yes! Can't get much nicer than that--a structure meant to keep clean the runs in a superstructure. Looks the best!
The leave no stone unturned approach, the over-thinking
Building me some Dunning-Kruger rainbow bridges!
I have a feeling Boji, that you'd like the project to go on for good
Quite the opposite- Came to terms with the fact I've never finished anything that has been truly objectively difficult. Want to see if I can actually make something that intertwines unknown territory with maximum deferred gratification-- completion is critical for many reasons.

Edit: I've also been scared of success in the past, have a problem with the spotlight, and have a desperate love for making music-- so there's fear and distraction at play as well... it's not all a 'grand rite of passage'- there's some bullsh*t floating around it too! ;D

Last edited:
80hinhiding said:
I searched tie bar, and found they're referred to as lacer bars as well.  Ian, yours look as though they must be tapped for a screw, then screwed in place from the outside of the back panel.  Neat option for keeping things... neat.  I came up with a method of my own when I did my back panel (with tons of XLR and TRS I/O connectors) but will try this technique in future.

Adam
Tie bars, lacing bars - the terms are pretty much interchangeable. These one I got from Canford Audio here in the UK. They use them on their own custom panels. I already had the panels from another supplier; i just needed the tie bars. You are spot on - the ends are tapped. I just drilled a couple of countersunk holes and screwed them in. As well as making things tidy and supporting the wiring, they act as strain relief on the connectors. The tie wraps shown in the pic are rhe commonly available type but they look a but too big to my eye especially compared to traditional lacing. I recently found some that are about half the width. They look much neater.

Cheers

Ian

Some boring updates:

Confirmed Mogami W2944 wire pairs perfectly with EZ or standard RJ45 connectors:
vEzlL7z.jpg

7XwDlhy.jpg

About 12 terms per ch to/from slots, logic & patchbay... (work!)

Using ratsound's supercat for CV, due to its braided shield and flexibility.
Works nicely for signal too, as a silicone-like inner molding and stranded nylon core keeps TP's separated. Easy to work with.
vEG9cyB.jpg

I love that stuff. I only use four colors for four channels. I recently started using Mogami 2368 for unbalanced and/or shielded connections.

Channel cables complete. On to group connects.

I love that stuff. I only use four colors for four channels.
Underestimated lengths so had to use all the colors. ::) At least they'll be super easy to trace!

blXJTIa.jpg

Heythar Faze! I've just been in the weeds making group logic interconnects and coding up the VU meter led's.  Not so photo-interesting until complete.

Do you do the silk screen?
The first few I used a syringe and nail polish, but I think I'll pay extra to have FPE backfill since I'm sending out for engraving.
Update: Cheap *** went the diy backfill route. Infill occasionally forms bubbles which requires a 2nd pass >.<  Should have done UV paint or bit the $ bullet; not a good use of time.

Your getting very close.
Thanks for your support man! Kinda sort of close. Still need to code-up and make cables for mute/solo logic and buffers, fader faceplates, integrate monitor controller. Once it's actually passing mixes I ought to build some aux returns, as there's 6 empty backplane slots available, but I reeeely need to get back to making music first!

Edit:  May need an additional PSU due to voltage drop. Tomorrow I'll install everything and see. Wish me a test that is smokeless and without incident!

Latest posts

Back