American Masters Miles Davis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-- They're sorry, but this video is not available in my region due to rights restrictions. -- Bummer

Too bad. Miles has been a favourite of mine for very long. Bought my first Miles record when I was 16.

I looked into PBS availability for someone in Canada. It *seemed* that if you donate like $50 to "your" PBS station (say Maine PBS), you get a Member log-in that will authorize you even "while traveling". A non-Maine payment would not raise eyebrows, everybody does remote banking (my bills pay out of NJ).

However looking again, it may be difficult for a non-US IP to get TO the screen where you can select a "your PBS station" to buy a membership.

Miles was a motherfucker. 8)

For those who couldn’t see it,

The doco is called “miles Davis birth of the cool.” Perhaps a search will get you a view in your respective country 🤠

I was in High Screwel <g> when "Bitches Brew" was released.  I didn't quite "get it" back then, but more than a few of my muso friends were totally impressed.

It took decades for me to discover "Kind of Blue".  I need to add that to my collection.  I see that my client/friend Kassem has various versions so I'll do a trade!

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=kind+of+blue

Bri

For anyone into the more challenging and toucher sounding among Miles albums, look for 'A Tribute to Jack Johnson'.

I was fortunate to discover miles early on. Like most people  their introduction is "Kind of blue".  I have owned that album  many times over, I wore out my record, I wore out 2 cassettes of it, I broke a CD of it and almost got into the SACD version. 
The album was recorded to 2 X 3 track presto tube tape machines, one master and one safety. The master was running slightly slower then 15IPS which was not noticed until after the fact, Something that was not corrected at the time and stayed that way until a remaster in the 1990's.  of the 3 tracks, one was printed echo(reverb chamber), one was rhythm section and one was lead. It was originally released in mono,  and I am not sure when the first stereo was released.  Of the recording itself,  each take which made the album is the first full complete take of each song  except for flamenco sketches. Other takes of each song were recorded but not  included as part of the album master.  Of this album every time I visit it, I learn something new.  good stuff.  8)

Latest posts

Back