Can I transport a Tape Machine horizontally?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecr4ne

Looking into an Otari MX-80, wondering if I can lay it on its back for transportation without causing myself any headaches. Please advise.

the MX 80 is a budget machine and lighter in mechanical design.  I don't remember if it had a cast deck plate or flat deck plate.  I would be careful to transport it with a small rental trailer with a ramp so as not to harm the mechanical alignment of the tape path.  Motors have serious weight to them and so hanging straight down as the normally do, as opposed to being vertical is a better way to move the machine.    I moved a mm1200 which is a good 500 Lbs and used a U-Haul trailer with a ramp and rolled the machine up the ramp and strapped it down in 3 directions.  It arrived safe and sound and only cost about $40 to rent the trailer. Much easier then lifting it into a car/truck.

I moved an MX-70 horizontally in a van and it was fine, but I was nervous the whole drive.  If you can rent a U-Haul do that.

A co-worker lent me a nice low 90's toyota pickup and the seller was willing to help me lift it so it made the trip upright (though I was told it was transported horizontally previously). Got it home and had a friend help unload it. at ~300lbs, the MX-80 is manageable with 2 people. Slowly going through the manual and looking the machine over as I await delivery on some (used) tapes to play with. It does seem ever so slightly unbalanced when the reels spin, though I don't know that it's enough to be worried about. Maybe I'll start another thread about my journey with this machine.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
-Chris

Latest posts

Back