How to clean ribbon magnets from metal dust

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil grill

Does anyone know a good way to to clean ribbon magnets from metal dust?
I opened an old microphone and found that the magnet was full of metal particles. I have'nt used it for ages cos it sounded weird. I have no idea how that stuff got in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_201524.jpg
    IMG_20200303_201524.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 80
I've never worked on a ribbon mic but from look of that my feeling is that it is going to be very difficult to do anything without damaging the ribbon which is like tissue paper. If the mic has significant value, you should just send it to someone to replace the ribbon and then it can be cleaned in the process.

Coles microphones in the UK used be able to send you a new ribbon , its not all that expensive if your willing to try the fitting yourself ,might cost £10 depending on model microphone .They have a large catalogue of ribbon specs in house  ,so they can make them for the specific mic you have .

The ribbon arrives on a cardboard former which holds the shape and  tension ,it allows you to drop it into place on the magnet assembly .

You could try dissasemble ,most likely that ribbon will fall appart , compressed air can be used to blow out the debris , I've also  used a lump of  blu-tac to  trap and remove stubborn particles from the gap.

Metal or a magnet will tend to be pulled into the magnetic gap , so even when using the screw driver be very carefull ,

I have re ribboned some mics using materials from Geistnotemusic on eBay.

I bought an RCA 74B which had a ridiculous amount of metal particles on the magnet. I removed the ribbon which was trash and cleaned most of the metal particles with a silly putty like material.

I have no idea what the pros would do but the putty was surprisingly effective getting into little nooks and trapping debris

masking tape work for me. I used to use it to clean metal shavings from the speaker groove when replacing cones.
I have used masking tape even in old dynamic mics.

Yes Clarence is still in business as Enak Microphone Repair. Phone: 856-589-6186.  I just put up all his info. on the post by Zebraon weakened ribbon mike alnico magnets.  It is the last post on page 2.

Back