I brake for Harbor freight

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

So, while leaving an unfamiliar area of Virginia today,  I chance came across a horror freight storefront!  Ah... The walmart of Tim Allen's shed.  The Ikea of shop gear...

Walked out with a 32 Edit: 30" brake. It has to be the cheapest brake made on the planet-- dirty, rusty, dry rotted ball grip, terrible casting, no base, gapless hinge, which means material has to be clamped down manually in front of it???...Let's see if it can handle ANY metal.

You think working a bend into 16ga plate aluminum is going to be a fool's errand?

Update: Looks like there's some youtube videos where people have modded it to taste.  Wish me luck!

Lol, that's hilarious. I need that rotary nose picker! Someone spent WAY too much time on that though...

Some things are decent, like the chop saw I got, gets the job done. But NEVER buy a drill press from them. The shaft was as least as shaky as my hand.

P.S. QRP rocks! I use you guys all the time 8)

bluebird said:
Lol, that's hilarious. I need that rotary nose picker! Someone spent WAY too much time on that though...

Some things are decent, like the chop saw I got, gets the job done. But NEVER buy a drill press from them. The shaft was as least as shaky as my hand.

P.S. QRP rocks! I use you guys all the time 8)

I think the Hazard Fraught parody originally came from MAD magazine.

QRP is a fascinating example of a visionary guy who has invested a lot of money into what was considered to be an obsolete business and turning it into a big success story.  The current wildcard in vinyl production is the recent loss of the Apollo lacquer factory.

Bri

I know the hand crank chain saw is a joke. If anyone needs a tree saw for trunks up to 6” or so you can’t beat a Silky Saw Sugowaza. https://www.shforestrysupplies.com/advancedwebpage.aspx?cg=2812&cd=4&SKUTYPE=202&SKUFLD=SKU&DM=1250&WEBID=12011&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvv_B4tCE6AIVBL3ICh1PpgUJEAQYASABEgLCP_D_BwE

I carry one in the car for downed trees across the road when I’m in the mountains. The saw is amazing. It goes through logs as fast as a small chain saw.

Brian Roth said:
The current wildcard in vinyl production is the recent loss of the Apollo lacquer factory.

YUP! I'm being super careful cutting now. I'm timing everything out and triple checking everything before the cutter goes down.
Paul, you got enough lacquers to last for a while?

bluebird said:
Paul, you got enough lacquers to last for a while?

Nope. Luckily I’m spending a lot of time building the console.  I haven’t been cutting much anyway.  I can get out all the jobs I had before the debacle but then I’m done unless I can dig out some lacquers.  I can survive on regular mastering work for a while. Hopefully not a really long while. I think 2020 will be a bust for lacquers. Hopefully a year is enough time for some new manufacturers to come online.

Back