Balanced line level booster

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornadoTed

I have recently bought a Modal Electronics Argon8 and it has a really quiet output, around 20 dB quieter than all my other synths.

I am looking for a simple device that will take a balanced line input, boost it 20 dB with a balanced line output. Something along the lines of a Cloudlifter but for line level. I know I can use a DI and preamp but I have my synths hardwired to my audio interface and it seems overkill to tie up a DI and preamp for the task.

Does anybody have any ideas or solutions?

If your synth had an unbalanced out (or if you are ok with unbalancing it) you could use a Henry Engineering Matchbox designed to boost -10dB unbalanced signals to +4 balanced.  They are about $25 used and they are stereo.

Great suggestion, thank you. I haven't seen those before.

I haven't found any in the UK but it looks like the new Pro version has a switching power supply that will work anywhere in the World.

TornadoTed said:
I have recently bought a Modal Electronics Argon8 and it has a really quiet output, around 20 dB quieter than all my other synths.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask about it. It would be crazy if they built it without the capability to put out a line level.

I am sure you have read the manual. Does the volume control not bring it up to a usable level?

From the manual:
Line Out
Line level stereo outputs on 1/4” mono/ TS and stereo/TRS jacks. The left jack only will break the stereo circuit and collapse the signal to mono. These outputs can be connected to any line level input for monitoring and recording. The line output is higher quality than the headphone output, so always use it when recording or performing. The Line out level can be adjusted using the ‘Volume’ knob.

Latest posts

Back