Best KM-84 capsule alternative?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camarada78

Ive build a few LDC (87 clones mainly) and repair another bunch. But recently a client came with a badly injuried KM-84, with a working circuit but a bad capsule. A new one is not worth the repair since he can buy used ones for about the same around here.  But he wants to put an alternative, cheaper capsule.

What would be the best alternative capsules to mount on a km84 grill?

have a good day

According to my info, the KM84 capsule is relatively affordable as a spare part when you get it directly from Berlin..

Right now I'm having a KM85 converted to '84 by replacing outer housing and capsule..

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
According to my info, the KM84 capsule is relatively affordable as a spare part when you get it directly from Berlin..

Right now I'm having a KM85 converted to '84 by replacing outer housing and capsule..

/Jakob E.

i only found for around 550usd + shipping.  In Brazil, that would be around U$900 (with taxes). For that price you can get a brand new km184 here or almost a pair of km184 used ones.  I was thinking around 250usd (price for very good peluso capsules for example). But they are not compatible.

I think I remember reading that the Warm Audio KK84 “clone” fits the KM84 body

I don’t really know anything about it, but might be worth looking into

Fuzz Face said:
I think I remember reading that the Warm Audio KK84 “clone” fits the KM84 body

I don’t really know anything about it, but might be worth looking into

nope, don't fit. They are are bit wider than the original.
Also the Peluso capsules will not fit.

True.
Besides that: if you look at the Warm Audio 'team', I only see marketing people and repair technicians.
So: don't they have any development engineers in their 'team' ?
https://warmaudio.com/team/

RuudNL said:
True.
Besides that: if you look at the Warm Audio 'team', I only see marketing people and repair technicians.
So: don't they have any development engineers in their 'team' ?
https://warmaudio.com/team/
I don't think they have any engineers or anything like that. I believe all of their stuff is outsourced to companies like 3U Audio.

Piece of cake, there's a guy sitting on a cardboard in front of Neumann's factory selling them for 200$.

Now seriously, what do you mean by that? Just like any spare part, through a distributor or a service point if you are lucky.

Back