Stairway to Heaven Lawsuit Settled

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Led Zeppelin have been borrowed from more than they borrowed?

I've used a chromatic bass descent in a minor mode myself a couple of times. So have a few others, anyone heard of Davy Graham? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWeejHJxGjs (Cry Me a River) Also sounds a bit Stairwayish.

Below a link to another Davy Graham effort known as White Summer when played by Page.

She Moved Through the Fair/White Summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-j89MnNCw

Great guitarist Page, I love his acoustic folk chops. However, I personally think that there is something honorable in giving attribution where it is due.

The copyright case that really guts me is the Men at Work "Down Under" case. I feel sorry for those guys.

If you want to really get into it, consider the flourish Page uses at the turnaround (different to the studio version) and the flourish that Davy Graham uses at the end of the descent.

yeah definately the lawyers won here. What about katie perry and dark horse?

funny hOw that outcome caused some guys to write an algorithm that would create every moelody possible in western music, or so they claim.  then they claimed they took them all to the copywrite office. again all their claim. is the backlash to all this to go extreme in the other direction? seems to be the common thing to do these days in whatever even if it may not be the correct thing to do. 

There are to many lawyers in the world.  Without some kind of Tort Reform, this will be the dismantle of everything.  Auto, Medical , Music, Insurance,  They all love other peoples money.  All this does is take music (that kind of died with the smartphone), and eats away at whatever is left.  We just set in a room and play guitar by ourselves.  Between Covid 19 and performance rights organizations, there will be no more live music either.   

Sorry got on to a Rant.    ;D

Lawyers always make the big bucks. If I knew and cudda motivated myself, Iwould have stayed in EE school for that senior year, busted my ass and got a degree, then went to law school (maybe night school) and became  a patent attorney. The figure I heard is $400 per hour.

What gets my blood pressure up is the big "Blurred Lines" case - US copyright law clearly states lyrics and melody are  the copyrightable elements (and that Stairway intro it can be argued is a melody), but there's nothing of Gotta Give It Up in Blurred. It was a jury trial, and they convinced the jury that the "feel" violated copyright.  A judge  likely would have got it right.

search said:
Shakespeare's exact line ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,'' was stated by Dick the Butcher in ''Henry VI,'' Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73.

Lawyers can be useful and worth the money when properly applied before the sierra hits the fan, later is always less pleasant and more expensive.

JR

Latest posts

Back